Thank you for being a U.S. Hunter Jumper Association member. Safeguarding the information you entrust to us is an important part of what we do at USHJA. Recently, we were alerted to a common email scam, known as "phishing," that has targeted some members with messaging that appears to originate from USHJA. To our knowledge the scam is isolated to members whose information has been on the public side of our website. Unfortunately, these types of scams are all too prevalent, so we want to take a moment to ensure you are aware of it, provide guidance on what you can do to protect yourself from these types of scams in general, and let you know what you can expect from us.
The email to which we were alerted was entitled either
"Help Support Steve..."
"Help Support David..."
These emails are fraudulent and should be considered malicious. If you have received
or something similar, please take the following steps:
As an added security measure, USHJA is removing committee member contact information from the public side of the USHJA Website. This contact information will still be available to members but only from within your
, and nonmembers will still be able to see the names of those who sit on committees. While we understand this requires an additional step for accessing this information, we believe our first responsibility is to protect these members from misuse of their contact information.
Also, please know the following about emails we send to you, and if you receive an email that does not follow these guidelines but appears to come from us, please let us know:
- We will send monthly emails from USHJA with broad news and information, monthly emails from your USHJA Zone with zone-specific news and information, periodic emails on behalf of our generous sponsors, targeted emails based on classes you’ve participated in or eligibility criteria for certain programs (we try to bring you what’s most relevant to you).
- We will always include our physical address in emails we send. This is located at the bottom of the emails.
- We will always provide a way for you to opt out of receiving communications from us, though we hope you won't opt out. You can manage what emails you receive from us at the bottom of every email we send, under “Update Profile.”
- We will always disclose a sponsor relationship if we are sending an email on behalf of a sponsor, and it will still come from us.
- We will never solicit you for funds related to another individual member. As a 501(c)3, we are not permitted to raise funds for an individual.
- We will never ask you to provide credit card or social security numbers via email.
- Beware of emails with major typos or formatting issues
- Don’t trust unsolicited email
- Be cautious of email attachments
- Be sure your antivirus software is up to date
- Install a personal firewall and keep it up to date
- Configure your email client for security
USHJA is pleased to serve you and the sport we all love. We look forward to continuing to bring relevant and valuable information to your inbox. Thank you for your membership.
USHJA Communications Team