May 26, 2020
MEMBER UPDATE
Governor Extends Emergency Declaration To June 25 

A new State Public Health Emergency Declaration was enacted today by Governor Kim Reynolds. The new declaration extends the current regulatory relief for truck weights, motor vehicle licensing, pesticide certification, and other regulatory relief until June 25, 2020.  

Detailed information on the May 26 Emergency Declaration Press Release is available from the Governor’s web page.
Drive-Up Pesticide Testing Continues 
 
Members with staff who need commercial pesticide applicator certification are encouraged to take full advantage of the drive-up testing option. Sessions will take place at various locations across the state.  
 
Spaces Remain for the Following Sessions

Thursday, May 28, 2020

  • Fort Dodge: 9:00 AM | 11:00 AM | 1:00 PM 
  • Des Moines: 9:00 AM | 11:00 AM | 1:00 PM 
  • Iowa City: 9:00 AM | 11:00 AM | 1:00 PM 
 

The testing sessions provide the opportunity to acquire any of the certifications needed for commercial pesticide applicators, including aerial applications and crop applications.  
 
The Iowa Department of Agriculture and Land Stewardship (IDALS) has said they will maintain frequent opportunities as long as participation remains high. IDALS will reduce the number of sessions offered once it is determined Commercial Pesticide Applicator testing has met the seasonal demand.  
 
Thank you to the IDALS, Secretary Mike Naig, and Deputy Secretary Julie Kenney for their work to help our members with the certification issues created by the COVID-19 pandemic. 
CFAP Has Ample Funding; Packing Plants Continue To Increase Capacity 

An important message was shared during the Secretary of Agriculture Livestock Call Tuesday morning. 

“There is ample funding for all producers who qualify for the CFAP funds,” said the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) Farm Service Agency (FSA) State Executive Director Amanda DeJong. 

During the call, DeJong outlined some specifics about how the program will work. The payouts will be limited to 80 percent of any funds a producer qualifies for, with the possibility of the remaining 20 percent to be paid later. 

“The 80 percent is more than enough to cover all qualifying claims,” said DeJong. 

The application for funds through the CFAP program is available online and includes a downloadable Excel spreadsheet calculator to help estimate the payment farmers may receive. The application and other CFAP resources are online, farmers.gov/cfap.  

Offices are accepting appointments by phone only and will not be open to the public, said DeJong, though many offices will begin a phased return of employees. Producers will need to call to schedule a time if they need to work with their local FSA office.

Livestock Update 

Livestock producers continue to receive positive news as packing plants work to close the gap between a backlog of animals available for processing and a diminished supply of processed meat products. Pork production last week was at 92% of production compared to this time last year, and extra weekend slaughter also helped, though there continues to be a glut of hogs carrying as much as nine pounds extra per animal.  

Cattle processing has also increased and now stands at 86% of production compared to 2019. The increase comes amid a nationwide two-week backlog of cattle, more than one million head that should have made their way to the packing plants, but remain in feed yards or otherwise unmarketed.  

Turkey production was expected to see diminished processing in June but has now been shifted to August, which is a good sign that the situation has improved for that sector. 

The Agribusiness Association of Iowa is an invited member of the Livestock call, and association staff participates each week. Both AAI staff and AAI members also take part in the Agriculture Secretary’s Crop Production Call each Thursday. Updates from the Crop Production Call are provided in the Take Five. 
Make Sure Your Key Employees Receive Updates 

Vital information from AAI for members is sent out in emails like this one, and every Thursday in the Take Five email newsletter. If others in your organization should be receiving this email, the Take Five, and other pertinent information from AAI, they can click the link below to be added to the email list.

CLICK HERE to s ubscribe to the Take Five newsletter.