I hope this email finds you well. A quick update on today's events.
The Government of Canada is now accepting applications for the Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy (CEWS).
Applications can be made through your ‘My Business Account’ or ‘Represent a Client’ (for tax preparers) portals, or via the CRA website with their access code.
There is no rush to apply; all applications will be processed on May 4.
More Info From Chamber Network and Business Coalition Call:
- CRA has hired 2000 phone agents to deal with the high volume of calls they expect with this program.
- Organisations and businesses are to call in and understand the program before applying.
- Have given agents the ability to get people signed up for online access via the phone.
We did a live video on
this morning, talking about the Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy, the Canadian Chamber Weekly Update, and a Small Business Roundtable with Provincial Ministers Sarkaria and Scott.
Today, the Government of Ontario announced:
- A Framework for Reopening our Province, which outlines the criteria Ontario's Chief Medical Officer of Health and health experts will use to advise the government on the loosening of emergency measures, as well as guiding principles for the safe, gradual reopening of businesses, services and public spaces.
- The framework also provides details of an outreach strategy, led by the Ontario Jobs and Recovery Committee, to help inform the restart of the provincial economy.
- A gradual approach will be followed to reopen the economy to ensure there are appropriate measures in place for workplaces to open safely.
- No dates have been provided for any of these stages.
As governments urgently contemplate policies to reopen the economy, this report outlines the tools capable of providing critical economic relief at a time when businesses need it most, and the risks of failing to act appropriately.
Read the report
More to come from us this week; wishing you all the best.
Jennifer M. Locke
Haliburton Highlands Chamber of Commerce