As expected the process of ensuring that the comprehensive data needed to operate MiRead is accurate, complete, and flowing effectively through MiDataHub takes some initial time and effort. Four key data elements that have proven to be challenging include:
- Student UICs: Accurate UICs are critical to operating MiRead and in particular for communications between MiRead and MiStrategyBank. This has, in some limited cases caused an issue where teachers are unable to finalize student IRIPs.
- Staff PICs: Without staff Personal Identification Codes entered into the local SIS, staff accounts do not get populated in MiRead. Ensuring that all staff have complete and accurate PICs entered is critical.
- Staff Email Addresses: Like PICs, email addresses in the local SIS are essential for staff to access to MiRead. In addition to some missing emails, we have also discovered a fair number of email addresses in local SISs that are different that the actual email address of the staff person (think marriages or other name changes).
- Courses need NCES codes that align to ELA.
Tools for ISDs and District Administrators
to use in supporting teachers and districts in MiRead are in development. The demand for these resources exceeded our expectations and these tools are now high on the list for development. These tools and roles include both local administrators and literacy coaches.
- Acadience Reading: Initial efforts to map results to the six areas of literacy in MiRead resulted in sub-scores that were unfamiliar to teachers and have caused some confusion. In an effort to clarify, we recently met with Roland Good, President of Acadience. Roland is working on mapping results and we expect recommendations from Acadience in the next few days. Look for Acadience results to be updated and easier for teachers to use in November
- AimsWebPlus mappings are complete. However we have encountered some challenges in dealing with assessment results that come in incrementally over a period of days or weeks prior to delivering an ‘overall’ score.
- Star Reading results have been limited coming into MiRead. Initial efforts to map this data should be showing up soon for the few districts integrating this assessment. Please be sure to share your feedback on Star data as it begins to appear in MiRead, wew want to be sure to present it in a way that educators can use most effectively to support student learning.
- iReady is now able to send results to MiDataHub. Our team is currently in the process of mapping the assessment results files to the six areas of literacy used by MiRead.