Financial Relief Measures
Middlesex Centre Council and staff understand that some residents and local businesses may be experiencing financial hardship as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.
To help those most in need of support, at their March 30, 2020, emergency meeting Middlesex Centre Council agreed to:
- Waive late payment charges on unpaid water/wastewater/stormwater bills due March 31, 2020 and April 30, 2020. Bills will still be issued and any outstanding balances will remain.
- Waive non-sufficient funds charges through to June 30, 2020.
- Not issue overdue account statements or transfer unpaid accounts to property taxes through to June 30, 2020.
- Waive the $10 mail charge for dog tags through to May 31, 2020, as there is no in-office pick-up option at this time.
- Authorize staff to enter into special payment arrangements for residents and businesses in need of financial support due to the COVID-19 pandemic. These are anticipated to be short-term measures for a six-month period.
Council noted that these initial measures will be reviewed as the response to the COVID-19 pandemic evolves. Changes to taxes, lifecycle costs on water and so forth will be considered in the future, if required.
Staff will continue to monitor the different support programs coming from all levels of government, and will recommend adjustments and/or additional financial relief measures as the situation warrants.
Actions for Residents & Businesses in Need of Financial Relief
- If COVID-19 has impacted the earnings in your household or your business, you will not be penalized for late payment your water/wastewater/stormwater bills for March and April. There is no action required to access this relief measure.
- For those residents and businesses on pre-authorized payment plans, it is important to note that you can cancel your automatic withdrawals. Please complete the form found under the billing & payment page on the municipal website. Note however that you may have interest and penalties applied on unpaid balances if you cancel your pre-authorized payments for taxes. Please contact the office if you have any questions.
Middlesex Centre staff are here to help you through this challenging time. Please be in touch if you have any questions or concerns.