Details are scarce, but it's fair to surmise that the Model Y will share the same five-seat arrangement as the Model 3, and will likely take the form of a five-door coupe-style crossover with greater ride height.
Its powertrains will likely be based on current Model 3 configurations as well, given the short timeline to get the Model Y into production. Expect a similar approach to its power pack rollout, with a Standard version offering around 350km of range from a single rear-mounted electric motor and 50kWh battery kicking off the range, while a Mid Range model with a larger 62kWh battery stretches that range to 499km.
Tesla reported financials for the 4th quarter of 2018 and for all of 2018. The results included Tesla's second consecutive quarter of profits, which came after months of Wall Street analysts and the financial media claiming that Tesla was about to run out of cash (and might even go bankrupt).
The financial press could have admitted to poor reporting and faulty forecasts, and could have expressed its shock at a second quarter of profits. The financial press could have even congratulated Tesla on the "unexpected success" in the face of so much naysaying and apparently unwarranted criticism. Generally speaking, that didn't happen.
The press and analysts also could have highlighted any one of these insane stats:
- Tesla, 6 years after producing its first mass-produced car, had the #1 top selling luxury vehicle of any class in the US in 2018 - the first time an American car company has had that honor in decades.
- Tesla sales grew 3,679% from 2,400 in the 4th quarter of 2012 to 90,700 in the 4th quarter of 2018.
- Stunningly, Tesla had the 4th best selling car in the US in December and the 5th best selling car in the 4th quarter, despite the fact that it was a relatively expensive luxury car. It was actually the only luxury car in the top 17.
- The Tesla Model 3 was the top selling car in the US from an American car company in December and in the 4th quarter.
- The Tesla Model 3 accounted for 32% of all small + midsize luxury car sales in the US in December.
- Tesla's two sedans, the Model 3 and Model S, are the two safest cars in the USA according to NHTSA scores.
Major media outlets didn't post positive headlines and hardly mentioned the enormous achievements.
They are now disappointed that Tesla brought in less money than "they expected" ... when they previously expected Tesla to bring in no profits at all? Wait, what?
Tesla is gearing up to open a new dealership in the Biggest Little City.
The company filed a permit with the city of Reno to remodel the former Sport Haus building. Tesla describes the project as a "car dealership" under the permit's occupancy use.
The building on 9732 S. Virginia St., which can be seen from the freeway when driving south on Interstate 580, is located just north of WinCo Foods. The property used to house a high-end auto repair shop that specializes in luxury brands.
Scandia Realty Group is listed as the owner of the building while Tesla Motors Inc., is listed as the contractor for the project.