This time of year can put lots of extra strain on your budget, from the costumes and candy for Halloween, to a turkey that feeds your extended family for Thanksgiving, to decorations and gifts galore for Christmas, Hanukkah, and Kwanzaa.
Saving during the holidays doesn’t just mean saving on various elements of the celebrations. It also means sticking to more long-term savings goals and avoiding accumulation of new debt. We have compiled some tips to help you plan for a fun and fulfilling holiday season while not drowning in expenses.
- Create a holiday budget
- Set your spending limit first!
- Reduce your spending
- Plan for as many expenses as possible
- Remember to save!!!
- Get creative with the decorations
- Creating decorations is a great way to spend time together as a family!
- Include personal touches
- Re-use or recycle items you may already have in your house
- Go back to basics for holiday dinners
- Keep the menu simple
- Make a list and stick to it
- Bake instead of cater