Dear Montair Families,
We hope this week’s message finds you and your family well. This week we begin our “regular bell schedule”. This means that we begin SLIP reading for our first graders. All first-grade students will be assigned either an early start schedule, which goes from 8:00-1:50, or a late start schedule, which goes from 8:50-2:30. Our 2nd-5th grade students will attend class from 8:00-2:30 Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday. On Wednesdays, all 1st-5th students attend school 8:00-12:50. Our a.m. TK/K students will attend school from 8:00-11:30. Our PM students attend school from 11:30-3:00, Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday. On Wednesdays, our PM kindergarteners attend school from 8:00-11:30.
Please remember that toys and trading cards should be left at home. Students are bringing Pokemon cards and Pop Its to school. These items have become a distraction for some students. We’ve had toys and cards taken from backpacks and have not been able to get items returned. Please be sure to have your child remove these items from their backpacks before coming to school.
We continue to review our lunch procedures to ensure students’ comfort and health while contending with mother nature. We have limited seating in the shade. Thus, we had our 3rd graders eating picnic-style on the grass by the primary playground. Unfortunately, pesky yellow jackets have discovered this. In response, we have put up traps, and need to move our students to a comfortable place for them to eat. Our third graders will be eating in the cafeteria, socially distanced moving forward until the weather cools.
Poor air quality is another force we are contending with each day at lunch and recess. SRVUSD is using Airnow.gov to monitor AQI numbers and guide schools on safety levels. When air quality is poor, we will use our rainy day lunch and recess protocols and routines.
Air Quality and MT Recess Times:
- Snacks will be eaten outside of the classroom door and students will play inside
- Teachers will review indoor recess classroom expectations: inside voice, find a quiet activity to do (board games, coloring, reading, etc,)
Air Quality and MT Lunch Times:
- We will keep kids eating outside as long as it is safe per AQI guidelines
- If we must move indoors, students will eat in the MPR. Students will eat in their classroom cohorts in an assigned spot. Spacing will be implemented as much as possible.
- Teachers will review indoor recess classroom expectations: Inside voices, find something quiet to do (board games, legos, coloring, reading, etc.)
- Lunch supervisor will walk and monitor multiple classes and roam from class to class to supervise.
Please reach out if you have any questions or concerns.
Our district is using a new learning platform called Schoology. This is where digital lessons are housed and where teachers will be communicating with families. To learn more about Schoology, we invite parents to attend one of the following webinars:
We hope you and your children are enjoying our return to school and are settling into a comfortable routine. Have a wonderful week!
Elizabeth Lyons, Ed.D.
Montair Elementary School