Step by Step Guide on How to Make Healthier Hot Drinks This Fall
A great way to start taking control of your hormonal health is with food. You can help to optimize your hormonal balance by choosing foods that keep your blood sugar levels in check in addition to reducing your stress response. If your blood sugar is on a rollercoaster all day long, this can cause extra stress on your body and throw your hormones out of balance. Check out these tips for making a healthy, balanced hot drink this fall!
1. Try Decaf - too much caffeine intake can take a toll on our adrenal glands (where our stress hormones are secreted) When possible, opt for decaf coffee or uncaffeinated tea.
2. Sugar-free Sweeteners - ditch the sugar-loaded sweeteners for a natural sweetener with less impact on your blood sugar levels. Stevia and monk fruit are great alternatives!
3. Check Your Milk - if you use a milk alternative such as almond, coconut, or oat milk, flip over to the label and check the ingredients. Sugar is commonly added to these alternatives. Look for the products with "unsweetened" versions.
4. Experiment with Collagen - collagen is a protein that is protective and healing on our skin, blood vessels, gut lining, joints and more! Try unflavored collagen and you won't even know the collagen is there. It is a great way to start your morning with a boost of protein!
5. Add Anti-inflammatory Spices - turmeric, ginger, cinnamon, and clove are spices that can have anti-inflammatory effects. Cinnamon also has been shown to help lower high blood sugar levels.
6. Add a Dollop of Quality Fat - coconut oil, ghee, and MCT oil are quality fat sources with many health benefits. Our hormones are made from fat and therefore we need dietary fat for hormone optimization. Adding in a little fat will help to keep you satiated and keep your blood sugar levels balanced!