The 2018 election changed the composition of the Texas judiciary in all of Texas’s largest cities. This transformation will bring about many fundamental changes in the law, and employers should expect an increase in employment lawsuits in the upcoming years. Now is the time for employers to consider using arbitration agreements in order to mitigate potential risks.
Implementing arbitration agreements provides employers with many benefits. Some advantages of arbitration include:
- Arbitration is a quicker, more efficient, process to resolve employment disputes.
- Arbitrations offer finality, as there is a very limited right to appeal.
- Arbitrations are private.
- Arbitrators in employment lawsuits tend to be experts in this area of the law.
- Generally, damage awards to employees will be less than if heard in a traditional court setting.
- Employers can limit class or collective actions.
Last year, the United States Supreme Court ruled in
Epic Systems Corp. v. Lewis
that employers are permitted to require employees to sign arbitration agreements that include class action waivers. If your business has not begun to use arbitration agreements, you should contact Monty & Ramirez LLP to discuss the implementation of the Monty & Ramirez Arbitration Shield. In doing so, you will be one step ahead of the game should an employment lawsuit be brought against you. Monty & Ramirez LLP will not only help with the preparation of an arbitration agreement but will also guide you with its implementation. If you are already using an arbitration agreement, make sure it is up-to-date by contacting us at the number or email below.