August 11, 2020
Dear Gould Families,
Welcome. I hope everyone is as excited about the return to school as we are. A great deal of work has been put into this school year, and we are very excited to get back to teaching and learning.
Below is information that you might find helpful for the Campus Arrival process. If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to get in touch with Dean of Community Life Rob Manning. We look forward to seeing you very soon.
Knowing there are likely to be questions about this process, we have changed the order of topics for the Coffee Chat, and will address questions #GouldLife this week. We’ll welcome questions about Athletics the following week.
Important Facts You Need to Know About Returning to Gould
- No Student or visitor will be allowed on campus who is experiencing COVID-19 symptoms.
All students must arrive with a Negative COVID-19 Test. No student will be allowed to register and move in without this test. We can make no exceptions.
All students must have a signed Letter of Indemnification. (Visit MyGould.)
- You must arrive on time. If you are late for your appointment, you will be asked to wait until the last scheduled person has arrived and then you will be allowed to register. In order to make the registration process as safe and as efficient as possible, we must take these steps. We apologize for any inconvenience.
- Family members’ ability to enter the dorm and visit the student’s room may change based on CDC and State of Maine recommendations and guidance. Thank you in advance for your patience and understanding.
Arriving at Gould
No student will be allowed to move-in or to register and begin orientation if they do not have a negative COVID-19 test. Please contact the Gould Health Center if you are not able to obtain a test prior to arriving on campus.
- Students traveling from ME, NH, VT, CT, NY, or NJ (currently exempt states) must still provide documentation of a negative COVID-19 test taken as close as possible to their arrival on campus. The student must affirm that they have quarantined from the day the test was taken to their arrival on campus.
If the student is traveling from any area outside the states listed above, they are subject to the State of Maine requirement for quarantine or testing. They must provide documentation of a negative COVID-19 test within 72 hours of their arrival in Maine. The student must affirm that they have quarantined from the day the test was taken to their arrival on campus.
What does quarantine look like
The Maine state requirements for quarantine are as follows:
- Stay home.
- You cannot go to public places even for essential reasons, including grocery stores.
- Do not have visitors in your home.
- Avoid contact with others, especially those who are at high risk of severe COVID-19 illness.
- Keep a distance of at least 6 feet from other people.
- If you are sick, wear a mask that covers your nose and mouth.
- During self-quarantine, you may have contact with other members of your household.
Testing at GOULD
All students will be required to show proof of a negative Covid test prior to their arrival on campus. Gould will host two COVID testing clinics on campus for local students to get this “pre-arrival” test done. YOU MUST MAKE A RESERVATION. (We’ll send a google sheet for signups in the weekly newsletter, or contact the Gould Health Center to sign up.)
August 25 (for students returning on August 28 or August 31)
August 28 (for Students returning on August 31 or September 2)
- There is a schedule in place for each student to have a second COVID-19 test within 7 to 14 days after their arrival.
Students must have a signed consent form from a parent or guardian in order to have testing done on campus (visit the Magnus link on the MyGould parent portal.
There are protocols in place if a student becomes symptomatic or tests positive for COVID-19 at any time during their time on campus at Gould. Please refer to the COVID section of the Gould Community Guide.
Each student will be assigned a specific time to arrive on campus (look for than email in the next day or two). Returning students are now scheduled across two days, September 2 and 3.
Please be sure to arrive before your assigned time. If you arrive early, stay in your car until your designated time.
- You should go directly to your dorm to begin the move in and registration process.
- Day Students should go directly to the Registration area on the Upper Field next to Ordway.
- Boarders will go directly to their dormitory, where a member of the Gould family will instruct on where to unload belongings and park the car.
- Boarders will then proceed to the Registration process on the Upper Field.
- Student Leaders will transport all belongings to the student’s dorm room.
- Once the Registration process is complete, students will be able to return to their dorm and begin unpacking. We ask students to limit this to 30 minutes.
- We hope to allow one or more family members to enter the dorm and help their student settle in to their dorm room if possible, but that may change based on CDC and State of Maine recommendations and guidance. Thank you in advance for your patience and understanding.
- We remind all students and visitors assisting them to please wear masks throughout the move-in/ registration process.
Students must have a signed Letter of Indemnification in order to complete the Registration Process. (Please see the Magnus link below.)
The first stop when you arrive at Registration will be the COVID-19 screening tent. Each student and visitor will complete the following with a nurse:
- Temperature Check
- Symptom Check
- Big Three Review: Face covering, Hand Hygiene, Distancing
Proof of Negative Test for the student must be presented.
Next steps in the Registration process:
- Gould Health Center Intake
- Academic Scheduling
- College Counseling
- Business Office
- Athletics and Co-curriculars
- Laundry Sign-up
For health and safety reasons, we ask that visitors involved in the Registration process, leave campus as soon as possible once the process is complete. We ask that families visit the Check-Out Station as they leave. Thank you for your cooperation! Once families leave campus, please do not return until it is communicated to families that visitors are once again permitted. This is for the safety of your child and everyone at Gould.
Pack Light! We ask students to limit the amount of belongings they bring with them to campus in case they are required to move rooms or return home during the year.
When unloading belongings in front of the dorm they will be placed on a 6’ x 8’ tarp, and we encourage you to use that as a guide when you pack.
Roommates in the dorms halls will be treated as a single household and, for this reason, will not be required to wear a mask while inside their own room. We do ask that once the student leaves the room that they wear their face mask in the hallways and lobbies of the dorms. Face masks must be worn by all students, faculty, staff.
Know Before You Go!
We know the changes on campus will be challenging, but we’re here to help! Preview our selection of campus signs, and check out our helpful videos on the Gould Blog, too!