We are writing to you today to provide an update on the 2021 MultiSport Canada Triathlon Series, more specifically the prospects for the long-awaited return of in-person events!
After an initial review of the Provincial Government’s Plan for Reopening Ontario, we firmly believe that there is now light at the end of the tunnel for the return of some of our events this summer!
This is the news we’ve all been waiting to hear for over a year however, we still need to hear from our municipal partners and local health units. The issue is whether our events fit into Step 2, which allows “Outdoor sports leagues and events” or whether we will need to wait until Step 3, which allows for “Larger indoor and outdoor gatherings”. The other factor is the final timelines of these “Steps”.
The current government timelines are as follows:
- Step 1 to begin the week of June 14th and last for at least 21 days
- Step 2 could begin on the week of July 5th and last for at least another 21 days
- Step 3 could begin on the week of July 26th at the earliest.
Triathlon Series In-Person Events
Welland – weekend of June 26th & 27th
The above timelines for Reopeening will sadly not allow us to host our Welland Triathlon in late June. The event is not canceled as we are currently working with the City of Welland on rescheduling the event to a date later in the summer, so stay tuned!
Bracebridge – weekend of July 24th & 25th
We would need to see if our “COVID reconfigured” event fits into the government parameters for Step 2 or whether we need to wait until Step 3.
Toronto Island – weekend of Aug 21st & 22nd
The prospect seems very high for an event as we hopefully will have reached Step 3 by this point in time. We likely will need to use our “COVID reconfigured” event model and spread the event over 3-4 days with smaller numbers each day.
Wasaga Beach – weekend of Aug 28th & 29th
The prospects seem very high for an event as we very likely will have reached Step 3 by this point in time. We likely will need to use our “COVID reconfigured” event model and spread the event over 3-4 days with smaller numbers each day.
Gravenhurst – weekend of Sept 11th & 12th
The prospects seem very high for an event as we very likely will have reached Step 3 by this point in time. We likely will still need to use our “COVID reconfigured” event model and spread the event over 3-4 days with smaller numbers each day.
We will be seeking clarification from our local Health Units on whether each event can proceed using the government guidelines and hope to receive this clarification by the week of June 7th. We then plan to open registration for all events that have been approved. We will send an email and guide you through the registration process at that time.
Thank everyone for your continued patience as we work through these unprecedented times.
We are looking forward to seeing everyone this summer,
Jason Vurma, John Salt, Joseph Park and the MultiSport Canada Team