ST JAMES EPISCOPAL CHURCH
My Mission, Our Mission
for the week of March 21, 2021
Youth & Up mini-retreat - this one is for ALL AGES :-)
What you need: a watch, clock, or timer; a quiet creative activity; a candle (if it's okay, or an intentional object like a cross); a Bible, if you'd like; paper; something to write with; a snack. Have your class with a sibling or other family members, or enjoy this time by yourself.
1) Begin with a transition time - Peace & Quiet: enjoy a creative activity for about 10 minutes (journaling, clay, Legos, drawing, etc.) - a time to change gears.
2) Next, clear that space, or move to another space, and light a candle (or place your intentional object). Settle in, and say a prayer, like: Your word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path. (Psalm 119:105). Offer more prayers, silently, or out loud, if you want.
Our focus for this class =
My Mission, Our Mission
(PS This exercise is open to everybody - yes, you, too! Please respond to me.)*
embrace brave change
reimagine our congregations
build our relationships
engage our world
Let your voice be heard!
Every 5 years or so, the Diocese of Massachusetts updates its mission statement. This year, people in charge are reaching out. They want to learn about St James in Amesbury, and to compare and contrast our church with all the other Episcopal churches in Massachusetts.
They want to learn from our successes, failures, and dreams. What makes St James a worthwhile place to belong? What does our parish do well? What does our Church need to do better, need to do more of, or less? What does St James want to be doing?
They want to know!
With our participation, "they" becomes "we" - WE want the Episcopal Church in Massachusetts to be the best it can be. You can help!
Why is St James a special place?
- What happens here (virtually &/or IRL) that either doesn't happen in other places, or that we do especially well?
What more could St James do? Or do better?
- Who or what needs more attention?
How could St James do those things?
- What would St James need to be successful?
Why be a part of St James?
- Why give your time, talent, and money to St James?
Would it be a good idea to reach out to other people?
- Which people, why?
- How could St James reach them?
- and then what?
Should St James begin new programs to address certain issues?
Should St James partner with other parishes?
- What might St James lose?
- What could St James gain?