An Important Message for NCFlex Participants

April 2023

Tips on Safe Travel

Summer months bring travel, and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has great tips for helping you stay safe and healthy on the go.

If you're traveling outside the United States, consider visiting or contacting your primary care physician before departing for any relevant guidance. Don't forget your Flexible Spending Account may be used for doctor copays. Planning for possible illnesses and injuries during your trip may be the best travel plans that you make.

For more CDC information on travel safety and health tips, visit

Your NCFlex AD&D*, Accident and Dental Plans include emergency travel services. If you have one of the NCFlex AD&D* Plans, Core or Voluntary, or the Accident Plan, you and your dependents also have access to Voya Travel Assistance when traveling more than 100 miles from home.

With Voya Travel Assistance, get pre-trip information, emergency personal services, medical assistance services and emergency transportation services. Learn more and print information to keep with you when you travel.

*Employees of the University System of NC are not eligible for the NCFlex AD&D Plans. Please check with your employer on the benefits you are eligible for.

Upwise and Retirewise through MetLife

As an NCFlex-eligible employee, you have access to Upwise, a free tool through MetLife that helps you learn how to apply for student loan forgiveness. If you missed one of the recent webinars discussing how the tool works, you can check out the recording and the FAQs.

Another free offering through MetLife is the Retirewise Workshop, starting in May. Learn more and register.

When you attend a Retirewise Workshop, you can expect:

  • Objective information on a wide range of financial topics
  • To hear questions from your coworkers
  • Interactive exercises
  • A resource book that’s yours to keep
  • An opportunity for an optional personal consultation

NCFlex May Webinar - FSAs

Join us in May to take a closer look at the Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs). We'll discuss eligible expenses for the Dependent Day Care and Health Care Flexible Spending Accounts, when to use the convenience card versus filing manual claims, responding to requests from P&A Group and what happens when you separate from employment.

May 11, 1 - 1:45 p.m.
May 24, 12 - 12:45 p.m.

Register on our Webinars Page or from the above links. We will also post the recordings on the Webinars Page after the event. Bookmark the page for later use. Please email us at with any questions. In June we will discuss the options for continuation of benefits after leaving employment as well as Life Events.

How to File an Accident Claim

Life can get busy, and sometimes we forget the benefits we pay for. If you have the NCFlex Accident Plan (different than the AD&D Plan) you can file a claim if you or your covered family member experience a qualifying accident and seek medical attention.

Consider if you've had a situation that may have qualified for a claim, such as a bug bite that you went to see your PCP for, a sprained ankle, a fracture, a laceration, a burn or emergency dental work, which resulted from an accident. You can view plan details and watch our recent Employee Session to learn more. You may be owed a benefit payout which can be used for anything you'd like, not just medical bills*. This plan covers accidents on or off the job.

Learn how to file a claim through Formless Claims Submission. Don't forget, when visiting a medical provider, ask for documentation such as a summary of your visit. Documentation will be needed when filing a claim. This plan also includes a Wellness Benefit payable once per year per covered person.

*Be sure to always file your health insurance when you seek medical attention. The Accident Plan is not health insurance. It is a supplemental benefit paid directly to you for a qualifying claim.