National Earthquake Resiliency Coalition Newsletter
Volume 2, Issue 6, November 2018
Upcoming Events & Disaster Conference News
Hosting Opportunity - 2019
Would you like to have a QuakeSmart event in your community? Now is the time to request one!
FLASH is currently seeking host communities for a limited number of QuakeSmart events to be presented during 2019.
Ready Business QuakeSmart Program
allows users to take action to protect employees, protect customers, and help ensure business continuity as well.
Once completed the Ready Business Program will provide attendees with the tools to plan, take action, and become a Ready Business by addressing preparedness and mitigation for your Staff, Space, Systems, Structure, and Service.
Some of the requirements for hosting an event include the availability of a venue capable of holding up to 100 attendees. Additionally, a volunteer planning committee composed of state and local officials is required to be able to help FLASH staff secure speakers for the day and coordinate the event.
- March 5-8, 2019 - EERI 2019 Annual Meeting, Reaching Resilience Faster by Working Together - Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
April 22-26, 2019 - National Earthquake Program Managers Meeting -
Salt Lake City, Utah
April 23-26, 2019
- Seismological Society of America (SSA) Annual Meeting - Seattle, Washington
Late February/Early March, 2020 - National Earthquake Conference, San Diego, California
Partner Profile - Janet Ruiz
Janet is the California representative for the Insurance Information Institute and is based in the San Francisco Bay Area.
Ruiz joined the I.I.I. in January 2015, bringing with her 25 years of experience in the insurance industry. She worked for almost 10 years with the California office of Fireman's Fund Insurance Company, the 150-year-old insurance company that specialized in entertainment, commercial and high net worth homeowners insurance. At Fireman's Fund, she was responsible for external communications, including strategic communication planning and media relations. Prior to joining Fireman's Fund, she held positions in public affairs, management (CEA unit), and underwriting with State Farm Insurance Company for 16 years, also in California. Ruiz has worked in video and photography production and has done volunteer work in community and public relations nationally.
Ruiz has a bachelor's degree in business administration from Thomas Edison State College in New Jersey. She earned a chartered property and casualty underwriter designation (CPCU) and an associate's designation in management from the Insurance Institute of America.
Q: What is the background/history of your organization?
A: For nearly 60 years, the Insurance Information Institute (I.I.I.) has been the leading independent source of objective information, insight, analysis and referral on insurance for a wide range of audiences, including: Consumers, insurance professionals, the media, government and regulatory organizations, educational institutions and students.
The I.I.I.'s mission is to improve public understanding of insurance-what it does and how it works. And with this goal in mind, our website, blog and social media channels offer a wealth of research, white papers, videos, articles, infographics and other resources to inform and educate-while the annual Insurance Fact Book is the definitive research resource of its kind.
The I.I.I. is an industry supported organization, but does not lobby for insurance businesses; instead, our central function is to provide accurate and timely information on insurance subjects.60, the "Triple I" has had a single mission: To improve public understanding of insurance-what it does and how it works. We here to serve everybody: consumers; students and educational institutions; insurance professionals; government and regulatory organizations; and the media.
Read More >
New Articles, Findings & Reports
- Oct. 2, 2018. Indonesia Earthquake and Tsunami: Before and After Photos of the Destruction.
- Katherine Guimapang. Oct. 3, 2018. What we can learn from the devastating earthquake in Indonesia.
- Eric Preston. Oct. 4, 2018. Preparing for the next big earthquake.
- Oct. 4, 2018. The earthquake and tsunami in Indonesia have killed more than 1,400.
- Dominic Fracassa. Oct. 4, 2018. New report finds overlooked earthquake vulnerabilities in some SF high-rises.
- Joseph Guyler Delva. Oct. 6, 2018. Haiti quake kills at least 14, aftershock jolts nervous residents.
- Robin Andrews. Oct. 7, 2018. Here Is Why Earthquake Magnitude Is Not What You Think It Is.
- Robert Sanders. Oct. 8, 2018. Earthquake early warning milestone: ShakeAlert rolled out to entire Bay Area.
- Jim Carlton. Oct. 10, 2018. Trump Administration Seeks to Deploy Earthquake Sensors Faster.
- Elliot Njus. Oct. 10, 2018. Earthquake warning signs required in brittle Portland buildings starting next year.
- Eli Meixler. Oct. 11, 2018. As Indonesia Reels from the Earthquake and Tsunami, Experts Warn of More Deadly Disasters to Come.
- Rong-Gong Lin II. Oct. 11, 2018. Say a major earthquake will hit in seconds. How do you protect yourself?
- Rong-Gong Lin II. Oct. 11, 2018. Earthquake warning system will come with some false alarms and missed alerts.
- Kanupriya Kapoor. Oct. 12, 2018. Indonesia's double disaster exposes earthquake lessons not learned.
- Gary Robbins. Oct. 13, 2018. UC San Diego's earthquake simulator will soon give truer sense of deadly temblors.
- Dion Lim. Oct. 17, 2018. Millions "drop, cover, hold on" in Great California ShakeOut drill.
- Bay Area News Group. Oct. 17, 2018. Photos: Loma Prieta earthquake scarred Bay Area 29 years ago.
- Roland Li. Oct. 17, 2018. Labor shortage could cripple Bay Area rebuilding after next big quake.
- Rong-Gong Lin II. Oct. 18, 2018. A simple earthquake flaw can invite financial catastrophe. Most California homeowners ignore it.
- Ben Bradford. Oct. 18, 2018. A worldwide earthquake drill may spur more homeowners to buy insurance.
- Eric Westervelt. Oct. 18, 2018. Quake Insurance? California Wants People To Say Yes To Coverage.
- Oct. 21, 2018. Magnitude 4.0 earthquake shakes panhandle just north of Amarillo.
- Phillip Sitter. Oct. 21, 2018. Agency evaluates how Missouri schools would fare in earthquake.
- Joseph Geha. Oct. 21, 2018. Faulted floors, cracked curbs highlight new earthquake exhibit in Fremont.
- Michelle Ewing. Oct. 22, 2018. Canada earthquakes: Several quakes reported near Vancouver Island.
- News Staff. Oct. 23, 2018. 4.5 earthquake hits off southern Oregon coast. KOIN 6
- Oct. 26, 2018. Tsunami warning after major earthquake strikes off Greece.
- Michelle Starr. Oct. 25, 2018. This Recent Earthquake Was So Intense, It Has Cracked a Tectonic Plate in Two.
- Thomas Fuller and Cade Metz. Oct. 26, 2018. A.I. Is Helping Scientists Predict When and Where the Next Big Earthquake Will Be.
- Oct. 27, 2018. Earthquake shakes towns in Alaska's interior region.
- Oct. 29, 2018. Large earthquake recorded off South America.
- Jerick Sablan. Oct. 29, 2018. 4.8 magnitude earthquake strikes Guam.
- Eleanor Ainge Roy. Oct. 29, 2018. New Zealand earthquake: 6.2-magnitude shake halts parliament.
- Amy Graff. Nov. 2, 2018. More than 20 aftershocks follow 4.1 earthquake in Central California near Salinas.
- Nov. 5, 2018. Oklahoma earthquake prompts shutdown of well.
- Nov. 6, 2018. Punctuated earthquakes for New Madrid area: New research uncovers cluster of past events.
- Jim Barlow. Nov. 7, 2018. Study of 2017 Mexico Earthquake Has Implications for U.S. West Coast.
- Heather R. DeShon, et. al. Nov. 7, 2018. Summary of the North Texas Earthquake Study Seismic Networks, 2013-2018.
Federal Alliance for Safe Homes (FLASH) | (850) 385-7233 |
All Rights Reserved