Future City is a student outreach activity in New Jersey that brings together the education community, local engineering alumni, engineering firms and various professional societies. In recent years the region competition has grown to over 500 participating students, teachers, and mentors. Feedback from both students and teachers has been exceedingly positive, with exclamations of an excellent engineering experience!
Future City's mission is to provide a fun and exciting educational engineering program for 6th, 7th & 8th grade students that combine a stimulating engineering challenge with a "hands-on" application to present their vision of a city of the future. This year's Challenge is: "Clean Water: Tap Into Tomorrow." Teams identify a threat to their future city's water supply and design a resilient system to ensure a reliable supply.
Our Organization is proud to partner with Future City, and to support it on its mission to advance STEM learning in Middle Schools.
You can help by signing-up to become a Mentor, Judge or other volunteer today and at the January 18, 2020 Competition (Saturday of MLK Weekend) held at Rutgers University, Livingston Campus Student Center.
Here are answers to some typical questions:
1. What is a Mentor? - As a Mentor your job will be to provide advice, guidance, and technical assistance as your students work on the various project deliverables. For more information about mentoring go
2. Where are Mentors Needed? - Mentors are still needed at 14 Middle Schools throughout New Jersey.
3. How do I "judge"? - All judging standards are provided. No special knowledge or experience required!
4. When are Judges Needed? - Some Judges start remotely judging essays, etc. after Dec. 16th and others judge the model presentations on Jan. 18th.
5. Can I help other ways? - Absolutely! We need people for various shifts on Jan. 18th.
6. Can I get proof of volunteering? - Yes, we can provide a letter of participation - you will need to track your own hours.
7. How do I sign up? - Contact a Coordinator (below) and or register
and select the tab for mentor, regional judge, or regional volunteer.
8. Share this Invitation - The need is urgent. Please share this email with friends/coworkers who may interested.
For the current list of schools, and more information on mentoring, contact: Jean Hansen or Jacqueline Nam, at
To find out more about Judging - contact: Andrea Almeida, at
To learn more about other Jan. 18th volunteer opportunities - Contact Silvia Santos, at
THANKS in advance from the entire NJ Region Future City Competition Steering Committee!!!