NJBPU to Conduct Webinars Encouraging Women and Minority-Owned Businesses to Apply for Energy Efficiency Grant Program
Trenton, NJ— March 2, 2022—In celebration of Women’s History Month, the New Jersey Board of Public Utilities (NJBPU) will be conducting three webinars in early March aimed at providing women and minority owned businesses key information about how to apply for the Schools and Small Business Energy Efficiency Stimulus (SSB) Program. The SSB Program is a $180 million grant initiative for New Jersey schools and small businesses to repair or replace HVAC systems, plumbing fixtures, and appliances to meet efficiency and health standards.
The three webinars will take place on March 3 at 8:30 a.m., March 8 at 8:30 a.m. and March 10 at 6:30 p.m. Attendees can sign up for the webinars here.
The SSB Program has dedicated at least $135 million of its funding to schools and small businesses within underserved communities as part of the Murphy Administration’s commitment to equity and environmental justice.
“Through these three webinars we encourage women and minority-owned businesses to apply for this program,” said Joseph L. Fiordaliso, President, New Jersey Board of Public Utilities. “These funds will provide an opportunity for women and minority small business owners to fortify their business and participate in climate change solutions through a variety of energy efficiency activities, particularly in underserved communities.”
The SSB program is federally-funded and is subdivided into two programs: the School and Small Business Ventilation and Energy Efficiency Verification and Repair (SSB-VEEVR) Program; and the School and Small Business Noncompliant Plumbing Fixture and Appliance (SSB-NPFA) Program. Based on high initial demand, funding availability for the school district HVAC programs is diminishing.
The SSB funding covers 75 percent of the total cost for projects initiated under these programs, while the other 25 percent must come from outside sources. The programs include a cap of $500,000 per small business to ensure more entities are able to participate.
About the New Jersey Board of Public Utilities (NJBPU)
NJBPU is a state agency and regulatory authority mandated to ensure safe, adequate and proper utility services at reasonable rates for New Jersey customers. Critical services regulated by NJBPU include natural gas, electricity, water, wastewater, telecommunications and cable television. The Board has general oversight and responsibility for monitoring utility service, responding to consumer complaints, and investigating utility accidents. To find out more about NJBPU, visit our website at www.nj.gov/bpu.
About New Jersey’s Clean Energy Program (NJCEP)
NJCEP, established on January 22, 2003, in accordance with the Electric Discount and Energy Competition Act (EDECA), provides financial and other incentives to the State's residential customers, businesses and schools that install high-efficiency or renewable energy technologies, thereby reducing energy usage, lowering customers' energy bills and reducing environmental impacts. The program is authorized and overseen by the New Jersey Board of Public Utilities (NJBPU), and its website is www.NJCleanEnergy.com.