Nicole Epstein, with Gotham Public Relations, sends in a quick recap of Governor Cuomo's COVID-19 briefings. Here are her notes from Governor Cuomo’s press briefing:
- Statewide positivity rate: 2.94%
- 147,583 tests conducted
- 44 fatalities
- 3,783 hospitalizations (+29)
- 836 ICU patients (-13)
- 521 intubations (+1)
Positivity by Region:
- Bronx: 2.89%
- Brooklyn: 3.30%
- Capital Region: 2.21%
- Central NY: 1.54%
- Finger Lakes: 3.04%
- Long Island: 3.10%
- Manhattan: 1.84%
- Mid-Hudson: 3.25%
- Mohawk Valley: 1.86%
- North Country: 1.56%
- NYC: 3.07%
- Queens: 3.28%
- Southern Tier: 0.86% (lowest)
- Staten Island: 3.58%
- Western NY: 4.78% (highest)
- 13,428,920 total doses administered
- 8,326,432 people have received at least one dose
- 5,659,417 people are fully vaccinated
- Museum and zoo capacity will be raised to 50% (April 26)
- Movie theater capacity will be raised to 33% (April 26)
- Indoor large arena capacity will be raised to 25% (beginning May 19)
- Governor highlighted recent projects across the state
- Affordable broadband, Buffalo Skyway, Moynihan Train Hall, 3rd LIRR track, public safety reforms, etc.
- Governor highlighted initiatives to lower taxes on the middle class
- Income taxes will be lowered for certain brackets
- 6.09% to 5.97% ($43,000-$161,550)
- 6.41% to 6.33% ($161,550-$323,200)
- Middle Class Property Tax Credit
- $382 million in savings for incomes up to $250,000
- Governor discussed issues related to the passage of SALT in 2017
- Governor called for the repeal of SALT
- Governor signed legislation enacting middle class tax programs & credits
When will reporters join press conferences in person?
- Governor pointed out that zoom allows more reporters to tune in
- Governor: "When we get back to normal with COVID, we will get back to normal with press conferences."
Any updates on the NYS Fair?
- Governor: as numbers go down, NY will relax regulations
On Western NY positivity rate, is there a possibility of further restrictions? If so, what could they be?
- Governor said research is being done on why certain regions are yielding higher positivity rates
- Governor will respond based on what is causing higher rates
Does the Governor support a ban on natural gas plants?
- Governor: goals are often "toothless"
- Governor would be open to accelerating current plans but would not support broad, blanket rules
On recent Siena poll on favorability:
- Governor defended the state's handling of COVID-19 and noted that he didn't pay too much attention to the poll
How much did the Governor receive for his book? Who helped with the book?
- Governor said he has been open about his personal income taxes
- Governor: people volunteered to work on the book and some were mentioned in the book