Governor Hochul Takes Executive Action
to Increase Housing Supply
In July, Governor Hochul announced several Executive Actions to promote housing growth as part of her ongoing commitment to addressing New York's severe housing shortage.
And this week, the Governor launched a hallmark of the actions, the Pro-Housing Communities Program, which prioritizes $650 million in state discretionary funding to localities committed to housing growth. Localities that earn Pro-Housing Certification will receive priority consideration for key economic development and housing programs.
Application and program page are available on HCR's website.
Additional actions include:
- Advancing residential projects halted by the expiration of 421-A that include affordable housing in the Gowanus neighborhood in Brooklyn;
- Mandating all State entities review lands in their ownership and control to determine whether the sites could be used for housing development or to support nearby housing developments;
- Requiring State entities identify the potential for their state-owned lands to support housing;
- Regulatory initiatives to identify opportunities for greater efficiencies to promote housing growth; and
- Launching the beta version of a new, interactive portal to collect and share community-level housing and zoning data.