NYSRA Update: COVID-19 Outbreak | March 25, 2020
- The US Senate is still finalizing the bill language of the relief package that has come to be known as COVID III. After announcing a deal earlier in the day, several Senators raised objections to the final language fearing it encouraged employers to layoff their workers. Those issues are being worked out and we will share details of the final legislation as soon as we receive them. While the Senate could vote as early as tonight it could be another day or two before the US House takes up the package for a vote.
- The National Restaurant Association announced that due to COVID 19 they are canceling the National ProStart Competition, the Teacher of Excellence Awards and the 2020 National Restaurant Association Show, all of which were planned for May.
- In response to the global pandemic, and to help keep restaurant workers safe, the National Restaurant Association is making its standard, ANSI accredited, online ServSafe Food Handler training program available free of charge through April 30, 2020. We will send an email with all the details tomorrow.
- ServSafe will also be releasing two new training videos, free to our constituents, to reinforce safe food handling for takeout and delivery during the coronavirus outbreak. A dedicated email with all the details will be sent tomorrow from our team.
- Yesterday, the IRS posted Filing and Payment Deadline Questions and Answers. The Q&As address the federal filing and payment extensions to July 15th due to the COVID-19 (coronavirus) outbreak. They also include information on the additional extension to Oct. 15th, first quarter estimated tax payments, IRAs and HSAs. For those questions that are not addressed in the Q&As, please know we are working hard to provide answers as quickly as possible
- We continued pushing for the Tax and Finance Department to address the issue of monthly sales tax penalties and fees.
- Spoke to officials at the NY State Liquor Authority to thank them for yesterday’s announcements and ask them to do more for the restaurant industry regarding payments and the COD list.
- In light of the COVID-19 crisis, the majority of in-person business for NYC agencies has been postponed or moved online. For a full list of changes, please see the following link: https://www1.nyc.gov/nyc-resources/city-agency-service-updates.page
- The Governor has signed off on and New York City is beginning to implement a social distancing plan to help end large outdoor gatherings in City parks. This will include a pilot of street closures to give residents additional outdoor space so that people are maintaining a safe distance. No close-contact sports are allowed, and a playground density mandate will be put into place. The Governor stressed that if these rules are not followed, further restrictions on public areas will ensue.
- We are hosting a webinar, COVID-19 Tax Relief: What Restaurant Owners Need to Know, with our Allied Members, Tenenbaum Law, on Friday, March 27 at 11:00a.m. Register here
- Taniedra McFadden of Sylvia’s in NYC and one of our NYC Chapter Board Members joined Melissa for a conference call with the Crain’s NY editorial board this afternoon.
- United Healthcare is working with customers on a case-by-case basis, taking into consideration need and other criteria. Please note, all requests for premium extensions must come from the client/group directly and will follow our standard process working with the Accounts Receivables team.