The Nantucket School of Needlery was founded by Mary Anne Beinecke (1927-2014) in the latter half of the 1960s. Originally located on Harbour Square on Straight Wharf and at 2 India Street in 1968, the school brought needlework experts from around the world to Nantucket.

It introduced Beinecke's Home-Study Extension Course, the first of its kind in 1969; this correspondence course offered thirty-five lessons to be completed over approximately three years for a certificate. In 1975, the school moved to North Adams, Mass., becoming part of Mary Ann Beinecke's new business, Textile Studios. The efforts of the Nantucket School of Needlery represent a portion of the craft revival taking place on island in the 1960s and 1970s. 

Above Right: Logo of the Nantucket School of Needlery embroidered on linen, circa 1978. Kuehl, Pamela (Hamachek); Beinecke, Mary Ann. 21 1/2" x 13 1/4". Gift of Julie Beinecke Stackpole and the Estate of Mary Ann Beinecke. 2018.0011.051