September 2021 - In This Issue:

The Government Contracting Assistance Program is a business and technology extension program of the UNC System. Our purpose is to generate employment and improve the general economic condition of the state by assisting North Carolina companies, including those eligible for business development programs for local, state, and federal government contracts. We provide government contracting assistance by offering no-fee and confidential counseling on selling your products and/or services to the appropriate local, state or federal government agency.

GCAP Director 
(252) 737-1369

GCAP Counselor
Chapel Hill / Greensboro 
(336) 256-9302

GCAP Counselor/Events Coordinator
Boone / Hickory / Winston-Salem
(828) 322-5379

GCAP Counselor 
Durham / Elizabeth City / Greenville / Raleigh
(919) 513-0623

GCAP Counselor
Fayetteville / Pembroke / Wilmington
(910) 672-1359

GCAP Counselor
Asheville / Cullowhee
(828) 251-6025

GCAP Counselor
(704) 687-0443

September 23, 2021
K.E. White Graduate Center
1704 Weeksville Road
Elizabeth City, NC 27909
Navigating the Changes in SAM
Jacquie Spearman, Charlotte GCAP Counselor

The System for Award Management, otherwise known as, merged its beta and SAM sites to become one website in May 2021. The new SAM kept the landing site to look very similar to the beta site with the functionalities that existed on that site such as:
  • Contract opportunities
  • Contract Data Reports
  • Wage Determinations 
  • Assistance Listings 
  • Entity registrations, renewals, and exclusion records
  • Federal Hierarchy Directory
With this merger came new requirements to access SAM. You will need to login to access any of the functionalities of the site. When you first login you will land on the workspace. If you have an entity registered with SAM you will see that in the Entity Management box. For users that need to update their registration you will find that the format of the update and/or registration looks the same as it did before the merging. The "Follow" functionality on contract opportunities allows you to receive notifications on updates or changes to that specific opportunity. Last month, the GSA held a stakeholder forum to introduce the Unique Entity ID (UEI). Currently to get registered on SAM you must have a DUNS number to start. That will change after April 4, 2022. You likely have already been assigned a UEI on your current registration. You will use this number along with your Cage Code after that date. The DUNS field will go away on many reports that you access on SAM. If you register your entity before that date, you will still need a DUNS number, but after that date you will only go to SAM to begin your registration.

It is recommended that you update your systems, records, and contacts with the new EUI for your company and suppliers. So, what happens to DUNS? Well for many companies you will likely still want to use a DUNS number. As it's a universally recognized numbering system that could help you in obtaining financing, establish credit, and register as a supplier to major companies or retailers. It's often useful in applying for SSL certificates and Apple asks for it when creating iOS development accounts for its Apple Store.

As SAM continues to be improved on the back end, it is encouraged that users provide feedback. If something doesn't work the way you want, or if you have an idea you can submit it to the Federal Service Desk by using the form at the bottom of every page. If you need assistance or have technical issues, go to Federal Service Desk ( to search their FAQs. You also can start a chat with their help desk to assist you. For continued updates to SAM you can go to the Integrated Award Environment Industry Community website to stay updated.

Our GCAP counselors can provide assistance in entity registration, market research, and optimization of your profile.

Contracting with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers in Disasters
Contractors are a critical force-multiplier during any disaster response. In the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE), we rely heavily on these partners in industry to help us meet mission requirements quickly, efficiently, and effectively.
To facilitate rapid engagement with the industrial base, USACE maintains an inventory of already awarded contract tools, pre-positioned to support major emergency response missions.  These contracts are part of the USACE Advanced Contracting Initiative (ACI), a program developed and implemented specifically for emergency and disaster scenarios. This suite of targeted contract tools provides USACE with a rapid response capability to support a wide range of mission requests, to include needs such as bottled water, packaged ice, debris removal, and temporary roofing. 
In addition to ACI, USACE also leverages the national Disaster Response Registry (DRR), which is part of the General Services Administration's System for Award Management (SAM). The DRR includes a database of contractors willing to perform debris removal, distribution of supplies, reconstruction, and other disaster or emergency relief activities. Submission of information is voluntary, and the database is considered For Official Use Only within the federal government. Submission of information to the DRR does not expressly or implicitly commit the federal government to procurement of products or services. More information on the DRR is provided below.

Doing Business with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers

Getting Started 

Certain requirements must be met to do business with the Federal Government. First, you must obtain a Data Universal Numbering System Number (DUNS). Registration is free. You may register to do business with the Federal Government once you have a DUNS number.

How to Register 

You must register your business in the System for Award Management (SAM) before submitting an offer or quote. Registration is free.
  • If you need help during SAM registration, visit the Federal Service Desk for contact information via live chat, web form, or phone.
  • If you would like to be included in the Disaster Recovery Registry, you must indicate this during the SAM registration process; see information here.
  • A current Commercial and Government Entity (CAGE) code is required to do business with the Federal Government. During the SAM registration process, a cage code will be assigned to your business.
Contracting Opportunities
  • Search for USACE contract opportunities hereContract opportunities may be searched by keyword, solicitation number, or District/Center name. Each contract opportunity is classified by a Product Service Code (PSC) or Federal Supply Code (FSC), and a North American Industry Classification System (NAICS) code. Thus, it is important to know which PSC, FSC, or NAICS applies to your industry. To learn about a PSC or FSC, view the Product and Service Code Manual. Learn more about NAICS codes here.
  • If you are a Small Business, to find subcontracting opportunities on USACE contracts, search the Small Business Administration (SBA) Subcontracting Network.
  • For all USACE contract awards, conduct a Contract Data search here. A search of the data is a great way to seek subcontract opportunities, as well as monitor expiring contracts for future contract opportunities. 
Click here for additional information on the Disaster Response Registry. For additional information on the USACE mission during emergencies and disasters, visit our National Response Framework page.

To find the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers' locations, visit and review the mission of each District/Center Contracting Office to determine your interest. If you are a small business, contact the District/Center's Small Business Office to discuss your firm's capability.

Meet Jacquie Spearman
Charlotte GCAP Counselor
Q: What motivated you to join the GCAP as a Government Procurement Counselor?

A: I've worked in higher education most of my career. I worked for a SBDC in a different state prior to moving to North Carolina. I've immensely enjoyed working with companies at various stages of their entrepreneurship journey. I've been with the North Carolina SBTDC for two and a half years. I started as a business counselor and then took the role of a government contracting counselor for GCAP. I am a PMP (Project Management Professional) and I enjoy structure, details, and process with a mix of chaos. That is what working in the government space can be for many companies. 

Q: What are your sector specialties? 

A: I specialize assisting companies with strategy and process within regulations of local, state, and federal government.

Q: What do you enjoy most about working with small and mid-sized businesses? 

A: Teaching companies how to compete in the government space has been a joy. It could be the 'aha' moment that a client gets during a meeting or the email saying they won the contract. Every company comes at a different stage and, if I can move them forward, it's a win for everyone. I love what I do.

Success Story 
Professional Security Services (PSS)
Jacquie Spearman, Charlotte GCAP Counselor

Integrity and drive can propel companies forward through any obstacle placed in front of them. Professional Security Services (PSS) is a company has a dedicated team to make things happen and will maximize any opportunity available. PSS has two offices in the Charlotte area and over 100 employees. The company is led by the founder Lee Ratliff and his daughter Candance Ratliff.

PSS reached out to GCAP to assist in certifications and expanding services into the federal space. In the one year of working with PSS they have gotten their SDVOSB and HUBZone certifications. They also are participating in the SBA Emerging Leaders Program. The company is committed to providing the best service and staying ahead of processes, programs, and technology. Continually looking forward, they strive to innovate and grow.

PSS is a family-owned award-winning company that offers reliable security services in the Mid-Atlantic region. PSS has been providing clients for over 20 years with the highest quality of security guard and patrol services. Their commitment to integrity and professionalism has contributed to their longevity and success. In addition to their security services, they provide building risk assessment, specialized training programs, green vehicles, 24-hour command center along with many additional services. They currently perform in corporate, residential, healthcare, and local/state government. To learn more, visit


5 W Hargett Street, Suite 600
Raleigh, NC 27601
(919) 600-5998