WELCOME! | April 2023
Happy Easter! Chag Kasher V'Sameach! Happy Earth Day! Sometimes we need to pinch ourselves and be reminded that we live in a resort! For over a century, people have been coming from around the globe to experience our pristine beaches, community parks, cultural venues, superb cuisine, boutique shops, and varied eco-adventures. Laid-back travelers love our little piece of paradise on the Treasure Coast. We've always been conscientious of Keeping Indian River Beautiful for the generations that follow. Our stewardship began back in the 1920's when Alex MacWilliam, Sr. moved here and helped shape what is Vero Beach and Indian River County.
It was during the construction of Riomar that Alex MacWilliam Sr. fell in love and on June 6, 1920, married Jeanette O'Flaherty, an immigrant from Galway, Ireland who came to Vero to work at the Riomar Club. They lived in a two-story Spanish-style stucco home in Riomar and had eight children: Edgar, Bill, Alex Jr., Helen, Joan, Peter, Barbara, and Robert. Alex, Sr. went on to achieve a very long list of accomplishments in and throughout Indian River County. To name a few, he....
- Lobbied St. Lucie County to build the first bridge across the Indian River to Vero Beach.
- Lobbied, in 1925, to create Indian River County as a separate entity from St. Lucie County resulting in the creation of Martin and Indian River Counties.
- Created the first of many public parks including Pocahontas, Young, and Humiston Parks.
- Helped create the first Florida State Veteran’s Commission and recruited 88 local citizens raise money and spearhead the development of Veteran’s Memorial Island.
- Was Mayor of Vero Beach for over 20 years.
We hope you take the time to enjoy the many offerings of our community and the wonders of nature, from many perspectives, and appreciate living in our little slice of paradise.
We invite you to see what's happening in and around Our Neighborhood. We are always open to your feedback about our newsletter content. Click here for past issues and feel free to share this with your family and friends.