New Advisory: Alcohol Delivery to Consumers from Certain Retailers
We know how important it is for you to keep up with the state’s alcohol regulations. That’s why we’re sending you TABC advisories like this one.

This advisory provides you with the agency’s official guidance on how alcohol may be delivered to consumers from certain retailers.
You might be interested if:

  • You want to deliver alcohol, or have it delivered, from your TABC-licensed business to your customers via mobile apps or other services.
  • You want to deliver alcohol from retailers to ultimate consumers.
  • You want to apply for a Consumer Delivery Permit (CD).
  • You have one of these licenses or permits:
  • Package Store Permit (P)
  • Wine Only Package Store Permit (Q)
  • Wine and Beer Retailer’s Permit (BG)
  • Wine and Beer Retailer’s Off-Premise Permit (BQ)
  • Retail Dealer’s On-Premise License (BE)
  • Retail Dealer’s Off-Premise License (BF)
  • Mixed Beverage Permit (MB)                     
The Basics
From food to furniture, customers can order everything online for delivery straight to their doors. That option is now available for alcohol. Thanks to the Texas Legislature’s recent changes to state law, there are two new delivery options. Here are the key points covered in this advisory:

  • MB/FB Permit: If a business has a Mixed Beverage Permit and a Food and Beverage Certificate, the law now allows the business to deliver, or have a third party deliver, alcohol directly to customers. However, the business must sell the alcohol along with food prepared at the business. The alcohol must also be in its original, manufacturer-sealed container. This means cocktails prepared at a bar or restaurant are not authorized for delivery.
  • CD Permit: This permit allows qualifying retailers to make deliveries themselves. It also allows a third-party delivery company to make deliveries from those qualifying retailers (see the advisory for specific criteria). Conducting business under this permit provides several protections from liability.
  • Responsible delivery: There are public safety requirements for the driver similar to the requirements for serving alcohol at a bar or restaurant. If a person isn’t 21 or older, you can’t deliver alcohol to them — just like you can’t serve them alcohol in a bar. Drivers are also not allowed to deliver alcohol to an intoxicated person or an address in a “dry” area.
  • The full advisory goes into more detail about the various authorities, requirements and limitations.
For questions about whether you and your business can deliver alcohol, contact  your regional office .
Follow us on social media: