The Department of Children and Families Office of Child Care Regulation is offering a new online course, supporting literacy in school-age programs.
The goal of this course is to prepare out-of-school time (OST) practitioners to foster the development of reading and writing in school-age children, and to identify and address risk factors for delays in literacy in order to mitigate or prevent future illiteracy. Upon completion of this course, child care professionals will be able to:
· Describe the developmental process related to literacy and the implications on school-age children.
· Explain how the development of literacy can be supported in various components of school-age programs.
· Name the characteristics of effective literacy initiatives in school-age programs.
· Relate best practices in implementing literacy curricula throughout the components of school-age programs.
· Identify risk factors that may cause delays in the development of literacy.