COVID-19 Vaccination Supplies
Recently, the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services (HHS) announced that kits with all ancillary supplies needed to administer the COVID-19 vaccine will be included with each vaccine shipment. These Ancillary Kits will include needles, syringes, alcohol prep pads and certain PPE. Ancillary Kits and will be automatically ordered in amounts to match vaccine orders. There is no need for providers to order these supplies in anticipation of administering the vaccine.
Each Ancillary Kit will have enough supplies to administer 100 doses of the vaccine, including:
- Needles, 105 per kit (various sizes for the population served by the ordering vaccination provider)
- Syringes, 105 per kit
- Alcohol prep pads, 210 per kit
- 4 surgical masks and 2 face shields for vaccinators, per kit
- COVID-19 vaccination record cards for vaccine recipients, 100 per kit
- For COVID-19 vaccines that require reconstitution with diluent or mixing adjuvant at the point of administration, these ancillary supply kits will include additional necessary syringes, needles, and other supplies for this purpose.
- Ancillary supply kits and diluent (if required) will ship separately from the vaccine due to different cold chain requirements, but shipment will be timed to arrive with or before the vaccine.
Not included in Ancillary Kits are sharps containers, gloves, bandages or gowns.
Other Important Information Regarding COVID-19 Vaccine Distribution
The CDC will use its centralized distribution contract to fulfill orders for most vaccine products and associated ancillary supplies. Some vaccine products, such as those with ultra-cold temperature requirements, will be shipped directly from the manufacturer to the vaccination provider site. COVID-19 vaccine and ancillary supplies will be procured and distributed by the federal government at no cost to enrolled COVID-19 vaccination providers. CDC will share more information about reimbursement claims for administration fees as it becomes available. Vaccines (and adjuvant or diluent, if required) will be shipped to provider sites within 48 hours of order approval by the immunization program, if supply is available.