New Executive Order Relaxing COVID-19 Restrictions
By: Alicia Lamboy, Esq.
May 6, 2021
On May 6, 2021, the Hon. Pedro R. Pierluisi, Governor of Puerto Rico, issued Executive Order 2021-032 (the “Order”), aimed at easing COVID 19 restrictions established in Executive Order 2021-027. The most significant changes include:
- Reduces the curfew period from 12:00 am to 5:00 am. The current curfew period is from 10:00 pm to 5:00 am.
- Increases the business operation hours from 5:00 am to 11:00 pm. The current operational hours are from 5:00 am to 9:00 pm.
- Maintains the maximum occupancy capacity of private services and businesses that are not expressly prohibited to thirty percent (30%) if the establishment has a closed environment. If the business receives customers in its establishments, the storage area cannot be considered in the calculation of the maximum occupancy capacity.
- Maintains the authorization to operate theaters, amphitheaters, and activity centers at thirty percent (30%), but allows their operation from 5:00 am to 11:00 pm.
- Eliminates the requirement to obtain a waiver prior to events, such as, corporate activities, assemblies, and weddings, but the organizer must require every attendant a qualified negative COVID-19 (NAAT and antigen) test done within 72 hours prior to the event.
The new Order will be effective on May 10, 2021.