New Executive Order Relaxing Several COVID-19 Restrictions
By: Alicia Lamboy, Esq.
March 12, 2021
On March 11, 2021, the Hon. Pedro R. Pierluisi, Governor of Puerto Rico, issued Executive Order 2021-019 (the “Order”), aimed at managing the COVID-19 pandemic. This Order modifies certain restrictions of prior Executive Order 2021-014, including those concerning the operation of commercial establishments. The most significant provisions include:
- Maintains the curfew period from 12:00 am to 5:00 am.
- Increases allowable occupancy of restaurants with closed environment to 50%.
- Allows operation of all services and businesses that are not expressly prohibited, with a maximum occupancy capacity of fifty percent (50%) if the establishment has a closed environment. This includes movie theaters.
- Theaters, amphitheaters, and activity centers may resume operations at thirty percent (30%) occupancy.
- Eliminates the requirement to obtain a waiver prior to events, such as, corporate activities, pageants, and fairs.
Other provisions of Executive Order 2021-014 will remain in effect. These include fines for individuals and businesses that fail to comply with current mandates on COVID-19 restrictions. The new Order will be effective on March 14, 2021.