New modules on
when and how a lawyer should withdraw services, and lawyer delegation and supervision of others have been released on the Law Society's Learning Centre.
The Withdrawal of Service Module covers:
- The circumstances in which lawyers must withdraw services, and the circumstances in which lawyers may withdraw services;
- The procedure for withdrawing services;
- How to not place a client in a position of disadvantage as a result of withdrawing legal services; and
- Rights and obligations when transferring a file to new counsel.
The Delegation of Tasks and Supervision Module covers:
- Tasks that may and may not be delegated to legal assistants and other staff; and
- Supervision responsibilities lawyers have over non-lawyer staff members.
Visit the Learning Centre for modules on other topics including trust accounting, client identification and verification, retainers, file retention and conflicts.