Last Wednesday, DDS Legal met with LASC's eFiling team to discuss state of eFiling, our DDS - EFSP experiences, and ways to make LA eFiling better.
Chris Kroesen, our Customer Success Manager, was actively involved during this meeting - for any insights, reach out to Chris anytime. A few highlights from the 2-hour meeting:
In the brief time LA eFiling has been live, LA has successfully processed over 200,000 transaction envelopes - Wow!
Court acknowledged that documents still need to be added, and apologized for rejections resulting from unavailable document choices.
DDS voiced our concerns regarding rejections affecting statutes and court acknowledged that partial acceptance should be in place and occurring rather than entire rejections.
Court committed to meeting with us monthly for more feedback as we move forward - don't forget Complex Cases will be going live later this year.
Keep in mind these helpful tips and info:
General Rule for Courtesy Copies
. Courtesy copies for eFilings with a hearing date of 2 days or less shall be delivered to the courtroom by 4:30pm, same business day, if feasible. If eFiling is submitted after 4:30pm, courtesy copies shall be delivered to the courtroom by 10:00am, next business day.
Courtesy Copies are ALWAYS required for:
- Pleadings and motions of 26 or more pages (including attachments such as declarations and exhibits)
- Pleadings and motions that include points and authorities
- Motions for Summary Judgment/Adjudication
- Motions to Compel Further Discovery
- Anti-SLAPP filings, pursuant to CCP Section 425.16
- Any document required by a Standing or General Order
Judicial Officers may request courtesy copies any time.
You must include Proof of Electronic "SUBMISSION" with courtesy copies.
Simply attach email received from DDS Legal eFiling portal or screen shot from portal that includes the court's "LA-transaction/envelope number"
Ex Parte Applications and documents in support must be eFiled no later than 10:00am, the court day before Ex Parte hearing.
Oppositions to Ex Parte Applications must be eFiled no later than 8:30am, the court day of Ex Parte hearing.
If opposition is eFiled after 4:00pm, the court day before, a courtesy copy is required to be delivered to courtroom.
We recommend to always bring extra courtesy copies to hearing.
PDF files must be scanned "upright - portrait layout"
not "head-first, sideways - landscape layout" - if the court receives a document "sideways - landscape" - your document will be rejected.
7) PDF files must be bookmarked and searchable.
8) For some filings, LASC gives you an option to choose a "name extension" document, allowing you to extend the name, longer than the generic, root name.
You must type additional information if you choose a "name extension" document.
9) DO NOT USE an ampersand "&" when naming a PDF file or typing a "name extension" and do not use "&" in any data field such as "address for multiple units/suites" or "combining numbers" - do not type "&" - type-out the word "and" or leave out.
You may only eFile 1 LEAD document per transaction.
An example of a lead document is a Motion; therefore, only 1 Motion per envelope. Not to worry, the DDS Legal portal separates different lead documents you're allowed to file.
You must upload your LEAD document first, and then upload supporting documents thereafter.
Not to worry, the DDS Legal portal separates lead documents from supporting documents.
12) For NEW CASES, choose case type from box checked on Civil Case Cover Sheet Addendum (do not choose box checked on Civil Case Cover Sheet, the verbiage will not match court's electronic file manager correctly).
13) For NEW CASES, combine in same PDF file and upload once: BOTH Civil Case Cover Sheet -AND- Civil Case Cover Sheet Addendum. Scanned in order (first) Civil Case Cover Sheet, followed by (second) Civil Case Cover Sheet Addendum.
For LIMITED NEW CASES, if Demand Amount is requested, please enter an amount.
For SUBSEQUENT CASE SEARCHES, you must type the exact case number (you cannot leave out letters or numbers).
16) Separate to individual PDF files (do not submit as 1 PDF), these 3 documents- 1) Proof of Service of Summons and Complaint; 2) Declaration of Diligence; 3) Proof of Service by Mail. If you submit these three as 1 document, your submission will be rejected.