Thank you to everyone who participated in and contributed thoughts to our Strategic Direction Retreat earlier this month. We are grateful for your input and pleased to have a renewed and refreshed purpose for the Coalition as we continue our work. The new purpose, mission, advocacy statement, and goals that were presented at last Saturday's membership meeting are included below.
The Texas School Coalition exists to ensure Texas public schools can provide every student an excellent education, local decision-makers have meaningful discretion over local funds, and the school finance system balances sustainable state and local investments in the best interests of students and taxpayers.
The Texas School Coalition advocates for the resources necessary to provide all Texas public school students an excellent education and for a school finance system that balances sustainable state and local investments in the best interests of students and taxpayers.
We are committed public school advocates who work closely with elected officials and other stakeholders to champion the children of Texas and promote sustainable, meaningful investments in all Texas students.
- Safeguard the right of local boards to have meaningful discretion in their stewardship of local funds, both M&O and I&S, that meet the diverse student needs in each district and protect the interests of taxpayers.
- Maintain, grow, and leverage relationships with like-minded public-school advocates and local and state elected officials.
- Educate community members and taxpayers at large regarding school finance and the needs of students and schools.
- Achieve a funding system for public schools that provides adequacy, capacity, and sustainability.
- Advocate for investments in Texas public school students that will increase the state’s national standing in per-student expenditures and academic performance.
- Strengthen our voice in the formulation of future policy decisions.
We welcome your feedback, questions, and suggestions regarding regarding these new statements and goals, and we look forward to working with each of you as we begin this new chapter.