Earlier this month, the general manager of a Buffalo Wild Wings restaurant in Burlington died after floor-cleaning products containing chlorine bleach and acid were inadvertently used together. Within two weeks of that tragedy, chemical fumes from mixing cleaning chemicals at a Red Robin restaurant in Woburn sent three employees to the hospital.
These dangerous chemical reactions can also happen with little warning in our homes, especially in small and enclosed environments like bathrooms. Many products contain bleach, some toilet bowl cleaners contain acid and some glass cleaners contain ammonia.
TURI Laboratory Director Jason Marshall works with companies and janitorial formulators to find safer cleaning substances or methods that work as well as toxic cleaners. He shares his knowledge on which combination of cleaning products to avoid and how to reduce the use of toxic cleaners in homes and small businesses.
Please share this information with family members, friends and colleagues.