March 7, 2019
The Government of Alberta is investing roughly $90 million in transit in Edmonton through the Alberta Community Transit (ACT) fund. This significant investment will allow many critically important transit projects in Edmonton to proceed, including:
- Upgrades at Stadium LRT Station
- Preliminary planning & design of a new transit garage
- Additional purchase of electric buses*
- Transit priority improvements to access Park & Ride facilities
- Preliminary planning & design for a new LRT Station at 40 Ave
- Preliminary planning & design for a new transit centre and Park & Ride facility at 50 Street
- Upgrading Terwillegar Drive to an expressway
“We’re excited with this investment. It allows ETS to purchase more electric buses, make transit centre improvements and, most importantly, build for the future,” said Eddie Robar, Branch Manager of Edmonton Transit Service (ETS). “The planning and design of a new transit garage is a critical step for ETS to grow our service, and would give us added flexibility and efficiency at other garages as well.”
ACT funding will allow for the planning and design of a new transit garage in the 2019-2022 capital budget cycle, with anticipated construction beginning in the next capital budget cycle. Construction would be completed by 2030.
*ACT funding will accommodate the purchase of up to 28 electric buses, while previous PTIF funding will provide approximately 21 electric buses, for a total up to 50.