October 20, 2020
In June, the City quickly responded to the growing needs of Edmonton businesses impacted by COVID-19 by creating the Economic Recovery Grant Program. In the last three months, the City has provided financial assistance to more than 474 local businesses, awarding more than $502,000 in grants to individual businesses. Additional grant funding is still available.
The top three industries accessing individual business grants are:
- Accommodation or food service (23 per cent)
- Other services (including personal services) (22 per cent)
- Healthcare and social assistance (15 per cent)
The top three ways that businesses are using individual business grant funding are:
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) or cleaning supplies (57 per cent)
- Updating or establishing an online presence or e-commerce (12 per cent)
- Marketing or advertising (11 per cent)
Grant streams currently available:
- Individual Business Grants
- $1,000 in matching funds provided directly to local businesses. The money can be used for urgent needs to help individual businesses quickly recover from COVID-19.
- Organization Grants
- Up to $75,000 for business associations, organizations and economic development groups to support the local economy and small businesses in their relaunch.
To date, the City has awarded three grants for organizations totalling $178,896 in COVID-19 relief. We are currently working with another two approved organizations to fund their programs to support local businesses, and are reviewing five additional applications.
This innovative grant program is like none at the City before—created to address evolving needs while helping businesses relaunch and recover.
“From the start, this program was developed for businesses,” said Stephanie McCabe, Deputy City Manager of Urban Form and Corporate Strategic Development. “The commitment has remained to support businesses because of their importance in the community and how supporting them is essential to supporting people and our vibrant urban places.”
Grants under both streams are still available. Businesses that have experienced challenges because of COVID-19 can visit edmonton.ca/businessgrants
Eligible businesses are encouraged to apply for the funds that are available now.
The Economic Recovery Program is part of the City’s ongoing work to support Edmonton's economic recovery, contribute to the community’s vitality and prosperity and drive local job creation.