Fr. Demetri's Message
WHAT CAN I STILL DO DURING GREAT LENT???
Chances are this question is asked of priests by either one or a few people every year around this time. The only realistic advice possible is to say to the person…do what YOU CAN!
Everyone knows the essentials: Prayer, Fasting and Almsgiving (charity).
A person should fast as much as they can. More and more people are finding that total abstinence from meat for the entire Lenten Season is not out of the question. Practically speaking…everyone can keep certain weeks, or at least one week in a very special Great Lenten way.
We must all know that fasting, prayer and our generosity to others must be exercised strictly in secret and there one will be able to know and to have the final goal of this period…to be able to have the love of God! Give to others and ask NOTHING in return
If this is done, there is no doubt that the result will be very positive and the time spent will prove to be the most inspiring and fruitful time of that person’s life!
Some of you may have the following question: What can I do if i haven’t done anything yet?! Well how about you try the following suggestions for the rest of the Great Lenten season (or if you can’t, for part of it)
1. Examine your life in all its aspects: family, work, society, values, desires and put them in and around the teaching of our Lord.
2. Keep useless talking to a minimum, don’t just visit for the sake of visiting
3. Question yourself with regards to the following
a. Love – not just for family for all!
b. Are you truthful all the time?
c. Are you always honest?
d. Do you have humility?
e. Are you peaceful…when you need to be?
f. Do you forgive?
g. What about mercy and patience?
h. Do you hunger and thirst for God the way you do for your…
iv. Extra cir. (sports, arts, etc)
4. Give a donation to others…those in need: the poor… and DON’T TELL ANYONE!
5. Suit the Fast to your life and avoid luxury and don’t judge other who are not fasting with you!
6. Forgive all who have EVER offended you in the name of our Lord, if you haven’t talked to them in some time…YOU MAKE THE PHONE CALL!
7. Pray at home/work at certain times of the day…keep this faithfully!
8. Study the Scripture readings of the day and think about them after you have digested them.
9. Be faithful to the Church by your every thought, word and action
Participate in ALL of the Services during the week…Great Compline, Presanctified Liturgies, Salutations, Divine Liturgy on Sunday, receive Holy Communion and Confession!