News from BG: October 28, 2020
Having a recreational fire is fairly common and is allowed in the city. A recreational fire is an outdoor fire, burning materials other than rubbish, and has a total fuel area of 3 feet or less in diameter and a height of 2 feet or less. The key, by ordinance it must be used for cooking (think s'mores). 

The minimum distance from a structure or combustible material shall be 15 feet if the fire is contained in an approved container. A Chiminea, metal ring, stone/brick, surrounds, outdoor fireplace, or a metal container with a wire mesh screen are examples of approved containers.

Visit the Fire Division's webpage for more information!
Amid the COVID-19 pandemic, it is important to use caution and plan ahead for Halloween festivities. Click HERE for Recommended Best Practices provided by the State.
  • “Trick-or-Treat” night will be held on October 31st from 6:30 PM to 8:00 PM in Bowling Green. This is a rain, snow, or shine event and will not be rescheduled.

  • Citizens handing out treats should indicate participation by turning on porch lights.

  • Those driving during the evening of October 31st are asked to drive slowly and with caution, being mindful of the large number of pedestrians that evening.

  • For future planning purposes, citywide "Trick-or-Treat" will always be held on the evening of Halloween. Have a safe and happy Halloween!
Energy Vampires

Energy vampires are appliances and devices that use a small amount of electricity even when turned off. Stop energy vampires from attacking your home:

In the bathroom: Unplug the hair dryer, curling iron, and electric shaver when not in use.

In the kitchen: Unplug the coffee maker, toaster oven, and other small appliances.

In the living room: Connect your entertainment center to a power strip to easily switch it all off.

In the home office: Keep your computers on sleep mode or turn off when not in use.

In the whole house: Consider replacing old appliances with Energy Star devices, which use less standby power.

For more information, visit the U.S. Department of Energy
Halloween Safety Protocols

The Wood County Health Department offers the following suggestions for enjoying a safe Halloween:

Families should approach trick-or-treat differently this year in order to reduce their risk of exposure to COVID-19:

  • Avoid having children select their own treats from a bowl or common container.
  • Limit the number of houses you visit and ask your children to stay as far as possible from anyone you don’t live with. Celebrate Halloween in your own community, and don’t visit other areas.
  • Wipe off candy wrappers with sanitizing wipes, and allow children to eat only factory-wrapped treats. Avoid home-made treats made by strangers....MORE

Halloween Fun

The Parks & Recreation Department has put together a week of Halloween activities! Check out the links below for more information. Activities include parent-child activities, virtual contests, family scavenger hunts, drive-thru trick-or-treating and drive in movies!

2020 Leaf Collection - Begins November 9
Public Works will begin collecting leaves during the week of November 9. Leaf collection is available for addresses that are eligible for refuse/recycling collection and is not connected to the regular refuse/recycling collection schedule. A MAP will be posted to the City’s website allowing residents to follow crews as they move through the City.
The primary method the City uses for collection of leaves is the “Grab and Go” method which utilizes a tractor with a rake on the back of it. The tractor will drive through the right-of-way loosely raking the leaves into the street for collection. This method is used so that crews can efficiently work their way through the city, minimizing fuel consumption and maximizing the amount of time the crews have to collect the leaves. This method may look messy, but re-rake your leaves, add more to the pile and crews will be back for another round. The second (and final) round will be more thorough and will be announced after the Thanksgiving Holiday.

If you choose to use this method, please follow PROGRAM GUIDELINES.

Questions may be directed to the Public Works Department by calling 419-354-6227.
Additional Options for Leaves
Love 'Em & Leave 'Em

The best thing you can do with your leaves is… Leave them on your property!

  • Shred them with a lawn mower and leave them in place on your lawn
  • Compost them in a pile or container (with or without shredding)
  • Shred them and use them as mulch on your borders and flowerbeds

Love ’Em and Leave ’Em "How to" Videos:

City Yard Waste Drop Off Site

Garden/Yard Waste/Grass/Leaves can be taken to the City Yard Waste drop-off site for those who are eligible to receive City refuse collection.

Open daily from 8:00 AM - 8:00 PM.

The site is located behind the Public Works garage on Tarragon Drive (off of E. Poe Road). This site does NOT accept brush (anything with a bark covering).
Photo Credit: Holli Gray-Luring

  • Open to any amateur photographer residing in Bowling Green
  • Photos must be taken within Bowling Green City Limits
  • Photo must be of a tree (no shrubs, etc.)
  • Top photos in each category will receive a $25 Gift Certificate to Bostdorff's, Klotz's or North Branch and a photo print from Main Street Photo and Portrait Studio.
Community Reads: "So You Want To Talk About Race" by Ijeoma Oluo
The City of BG Human Relations Commission invites you to join in our Community Reads: So You Want To Talk About Race, By Ijeoma Oluo. This is an opportunity for all members of the BG Community to engage in compelling literature that invites empathetic learning and meaningful, constructive dialogue about racism and how to deal with racial injustices and biases.

The book discussion will occur over three sessions: November 9, December 7, and January 11, with one section of the book discussed at each session. To accommodate busy schedules, a variety meeting times are offered. Registration is required by clicking HERE or by calling the Wood County District Public Library at 419 352-5050.
Refuse & Recycling Container Address Labels
The Public Works Department has resumed the work of placing address labels on all refuse and recycling containers that are picked up by the City. Crews have completed the majority of Wards 1 & 2 and have begun Wards 3 & 4. City employees will be applying labels on containers placed at the curb on Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday’s collection route.

Residents, whose scheduled collection day is on Monday, Tuesday, or Thursday, are asked to help in this effort by placing containers – full or empty – at the curb on their regular collection day. Containers should not be pulled back to the house until 4:00 PM that day. This will help crews move through streets efficiently, missing as few addresses as possible. This work will be ongoing over the next several months and...MORE
Ohio Makes $50 million in CARES Act Funding Available
for Assistance; Includes Water, Sewer Payments

On Oct. 26, the state Controlling Board approved the release of additional CARES Act funds for Ohio businesses, restaurants, and citizens impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic and created the Home Relief Grant program. The program allocates $50 million in grants for Ohio citizens to pay rent, mortgage, and water and sewer payments. The program does not, however, cover outstanding electric bills.

Starting Nov. 2, 2020, the State of Ohio will allocate $50 million from the Coronavirus Relief Fund from the CARES Act to 47 Community Action Agencies to help Ohioans that have experienced economic hardship as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. Each Community Action Agency will receive a portion of the funding based on their Community Services Block Grant (CSBG) CARES Act allocation. Ohioans who are behind on rent, mortgage, and water and/or sewer utility bills (back to April 1, 2020) may be able to receive assistance. Ohioans can receive monthly assistance until the program ends on December 30, 2020. As it pertains to utility bills that include more than the water or sewer services, assistance can be provided to maintain service or prevent shut off only.

Please note that additional utility assistance (electric and natural gas) is not available under the Home Relief Grant program. The only current statewide electric and natural gas assistance program available to customers of municipal electric communities is HEAP, which may also be applied for by households beginning Nov. 1 at the Community Action Agencies.

Procedurally, the Community Action Agencies will make direct payments on behalf of the applicant to the landlord, bank, or water and/or sewer company. A household can receive assistance in more than one category.

Bowling Green residents, interested in the Home Relief Grant program or HEAP, should contact the Great Lakes Community Action Partnership