| Resource Guide - Hurricane Sandy
Disaster Assistance Resources:
The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) will open a Disaster Recovery Center in the Somerset County Human Services Building at 27 Warren Street in Somerville starting on Thursday, Nov. 8, from 2 to 8 p.m. Hours thereafter will be Monday through Sunday from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. until further notice. The FEMA center will assist residents impacted by Hurricane Sandy.
Residents also may apply for FEMA assistance by contacting:
The Federal Emergency Management Agency and the Small Business Administration assists with disaster aid, loans and other resources for business and homes in need.
Power companies are working to restore electricity, but it will be a long process before everyone has their power back. Notify your power company immediately of any outages and keep in touch until your power is restored. The following is a list of power company phone numbers:
Many houses were damaged or destroyed by the storm. If you are in need of shelter, the Red Cross is working closely with local, state, and federal emergency management teams to provide shelters throughout New Jersey. To find a Red Cross shelter operating in your community the following resources are available:
- Call 1-800-RED-CROSS
- Check online HERE
Somerville Fire Department
Hurricane Sandy Relief Drive
- Non-Perishable Food
- Canned Foods, Water
- New and Unused Baby Clothing
- Baby Formula/Food & Needs
- Blankets & Personal Needs
DROP OFF LOCATION / DATES & TIMES
- Lincoln Hose Co #4 Firehouse, Warren St., Somerville
- Friday November 16 (12:00 PM - 4:00 PM)
- Saturday, November 17 (10:00 AM - 5:00 PM)
Families in the affected areas have suffered greatly and are in need of these items. Your help is greatly appreciated.
34 W Main Street, Suite 201, Somerville
Family Success Center Hurricane Assistance
We welcome community residents to stop by the Family Success Center, a warm and welcoming neighborhood gathering place. Visit us to warm up, charge your phones & computers, use our WIFI, play games, and/or bring your own video games. Our facility has a play area for children and a comfortable area to relax. We are here to provide information and support for any needs you may have.
The Family Success Center is OPEN:
Monday - Friday 10:00 am - 6:00 pm
We are accepting donations for children's toys, books and games for families affected by Hurricane Sandy.
Federal Helpline 1-800-985-5990 or Text TalkWithUS to 66746
Provides 24/7 crisis counseling and support by trained counselors from a network of crisis call centers located across the United States, all of whom provide crisis counseling for those who are in emotional distress.
- School Information - Click HERE - closing and delays for schools and businesses (can also call 211)
- Disaster Mental Health Help Line, 1-877-294-4357
- A TTY line is available for persons who are deaf and hearing impaired at 1-877-294-4356.
- Somerset County Health Department website for up to date information - Click HERE
- Tips for Familes Impacted by Hurricane Sandy
- Hurricane Survival Guide for New Jersey - Click HERE
- Tips for Helping Chidren after a Hurricane - Click HERE
- Somerset County Emergency Information - Click HERE
- Small Business Recovery Resources - Click HERE
Somerset County Municipality Resources
EmPoWER Somerset assists individuals and families in making positive lifestyle choices and fosters healthy, drug free communities through education, collaboration, and linkages to resources.