|100th Foothills Presbytery Meeting!
Stated Meeting #100
will be Sunday, August 14
at 2 pm
at Fourth Church
703 E Washington Street, Greenville
|VBS in Foothills Presbytery
Sharing the GOOD NEWS in the
midst of a long, hot summer!
All around the upstate this summer, Foothills Presbytery churches held VBS programs teaching children about God through
Bible drama, memory verses, snack, recreation, crafts, and music!
VBS programs bring out volunteers from all generations, and as Beth Burris-First Sptg said, "I'm not sure which group has a better time."
Themes included: Cokesbury' s Surf Shack: Catch the Wave of God's Amazing Love, Group's Pets Unleashed, Living Waters Water All Around the World and Nuthin' But Net, Group's Cave Quest, and some curriculum created by churches themselves.
A few highlights:
Central used the youth curriculum Group offered to create a "youth crew" for rising 6th and 7th graders. They had their own curriculum and did lots of mission work around the church! "We
also welcomed a child with special needs this year at VBS. She was turned away from other churches before but their volunteers stepped up in a great way to help her celebrate with them!"
- Eastminster had another successful one day VBS followed by a Sunday morning worship celebration.
- Easley partnered with First Methodist Church across the street for the third year in a row for their VBS! During the week their tweens collected enough money for 5 wells for Marion Medical Mission ($400 each!) They also hosted a Ten Thousand Villages store at the church at VBS.
- First Anderson invited their sister church, Salem Presbyterian to join them and they brought 9 kids and 2 adult volunteers! "We are excited about growing that partnership next year!" The children raised $1000 for the SC Sea Turtles Rescue!
- First Spartanburg children raised $2000 for First Presbyterian's Winter Warmth project which ensures children in local schools have new winter coats to wear in the fall. "Blessing upon blessing, worth all the hard work."
- Fort Hill partnered with their neighbors at First Baptist Church Clemson for a second year for VBS. "We met at First Baptist for most of the program. Nursery and some recreation was held at Fort Hill......We experienced another joyous and happy VBS with one another." Children learned "Jesus gives us hope, direction, love and courage."
- Piedmont pastor Alyson Helvie, said "I continue to be amazed at the adult leadership and volunteering spirit in our small church. The adults at PPC are so willing to give of their time, talents, and resources to share the love of Christ with the children of this community."
- Pickens celebrated another successful week with many families attending from their child-development center and had a child and youth led worship service the Sunday following VBS.
- Second traveled back in time to the Jerusalem marketplace for an exciting VBS experience this year. Participants rotated through play time, music, and visiting the various tents of the marketplace, which was a highlight for their children, youth, and adults.
Most VBS programs were at maximum capacity for space and voluntee
r-to-child ratios. Over 900 children were served, loved, encouraged & inspired through the amazing efforts of staff and volunteers! Thanks be to God!
|Seneca Adult VBS
All our brother and sisters
in Foothills Presbytery
are invited to join us
at Seneca Presbyterian Church (Seneca)
for our adult Vacation Bible School
Beth Lindsay Templeton will be our speaker and her topic will be
Our Eyes Were Opened: A Ministry to the "Haves." We begin on Sunday afternoon, August 7 at 4:00 p.m. with Beth's poverty simulation, which will be followed by supper. On Monday - Wednesday evenings (August 8-10), our schedule is 6:00 - 8:00 p.m. beginning with supper and followed by presentations from Beth. There is a $25 charge per person to help cover costs and includes all four suppers.
For more information, contact Nancy Morris at
Interested persons can register on-line at www.sprez.org.
| Youth Leaders Round Table
Youth Ministry Leader's ROUNDTABLE
Tuesday August 9
Youth Directors/Ministers are
invited to "talk shop"
12:00 - 1:30 pm
at the Presbytery Office
2242 Woodruff Rd,
Simpsonville, SC 29681 ,
Sustainable Youth Ministry
Sustainable Youth Ministry,
by Mark DeVries
Last month we started conversation focused on Chapter 5 "Building Right: The Structures of Sustainability".
The group decided it would be helpful if we continue with chapter 5 on August 9th. Everyone is asked to bring samples of your key control documents.
Here are the "five key control documents that churches need to build for sustainability" :
(1) Directories: of all youth in the church, of all volunteers and staff in the ministry;
(2) An annual calendar of events: completed at least a year in advance;
(3) Job descriptions: for paid staff and volunteers alike;
(4) The master recruiting list: needs identifying well in advance (i.e., how many volunteers do we need to fully staff all our activities?);
(5) The curriculum template: not just, "
this looks like good curriculum"
but asking what is the scope and sequence of Christian education and discipleship here?
***** We will provide Chick-fil-A sandwich & fries
but we need to know you are coming!!
Please reply to this email or email LeAnne
|SHIFT- 21st Century Church
Making the Shift:
Three Big Moves
for the 21st Century Church
Sat/Sun August 27-28, 2016
2:00-4.30pm each day
First Presbyterian Church, Anderson, SC
Fellowship Hall (Kirk)
302 West Whitner Street Anderson SC 29624
The world continues to change around us. How can we, as Christ followers and leaders, better understand those changes and how they impact the way we function as a church?
In an effort to equip, nurture and support Ministers, Church Officers and church leaders, First Church Anderson
is inviting you to an Anderson/Oconnee/Pickens Regional event.
of Pinnacle Leader Associates will lead an overview of his book
Shift: Three Big Moves for the 21
st Century Church
- Member to Disciple Identity
- Attractional to Missional Church
- Consumer Church to Sacred Partnering
All Foothills teaching elders/pastors, ruling elders, or church leaders are invited to join us.
Cost: $25, which includes a copy of Shift, light refreshments
|Presbyterian Women Gathering
Triennial Gathering of
Presbyterian Women in the Synod of South Atlantic
October 21 - 23, 2016
Epworth by the Sea
100 Arthur J Moore Dr
Saint Simons Island, GA 31522
(Commissioned Ruling Elder)
- Do you feel like you are being called to do something more with your church and the Foothills Presbytery?
- Are you interested in becoming a Lay minister?
- Want to know what a CRE is and does?
Let us help you explore your options!
Come to the drop in
at the presbytery office
on Sunday, August 28th at 2pm
We will discuss what a CRE is and how you can become one. If you are already a CRE or a CRE in training, we welcome you as well. We will talk about the upcoming Lay Theology School this fall and take some time to network with each other.
|Interim Pastor Training
The Georgia Cluster is hosting
Interim Pastor Training, January 25 - 29
at Calvin Center (Atlanta).
This event is perfect for quality individuals looking to expand their skill set. Please find the attached brochure (below) describing this information packed five day event.
The leadership team includes:
- Rev. Joel Alvis
- Rev. Tim Rogers-Martin
|Our Brothers Keeper Charity Golf Tournament
OUR BROTHERS KEEPER CHARITY GOLF TOURNAMENT has b
loped to raise money for the Oconee Presbyterian Service
und (OPSF). The mission of OPSF has remained the same, to help individu
ls and families of Oconee County that a
e in financial crisis and cannot be helped by other agencies
public or private
OPSF continues to be fund
d by the five founding Presbyterian Churches, Bethel
Walhalla and Westminster, along with Clemson and St
Mark United Methodist Churches
Friday, September 9 at the Oconee Country Club
|Glennon Melton -FPCSpartanburg
Glennon Melton at FPC Spartanburg -
Buy your tickets now!
First Presbyterian Church of Spartanburg is delighted to host Glennon Doyle Melton of
on Saturday, August 13 at 10 AM. For those who don't know her, Glennon is "the author of the inspiring and hilarious New York Times bestselling memoir, Carry On, Warrior, and the highly anticipated forthcoming memoir Love Warrior. She is the founder of Momastery.com, an on-line community where hundreds of thousands of readers meet daily to experience her shameless and laugh-out-loud funny essays about marriage, motherhood, faith, addiction, recovery, and serving the marginalized." These events often sell out quickly, so purchase your tickets today! Two ticket options are available, regular & sponsored. The second "Sponsored" ticket pays for you and a scholarship ticket to be given to a woman in the community who would not otherwise be able to come. It also includes a special meet and greet with Glennon before the event and front row seating. All tickets include a copy of Glennon Melton's upcoming book.
SAVE THE DATE!
MONTREAT CONFERENCE CENTER
Speaker: Carol Howard Merritt
|New in the Resource Center!
Please take a minute
and visit the new items list
Resource Center website here!
Mark your Calendars
Dates to Remember
Committee on Preparation meeting
August 4 Committee on Ministry meeting
August 9 Youth Ministry Roundtable
** August 14 ** Presbytery Stated Meeting #100
at Fourth Presbyterian Church, Greenville
August 16 Equipping the Saints meeting
August 17 Cluster Leaders Gathering
August 18 GA Reform Group meeting & Examinations meeting
To see all of the upcoming events with detailed information like time and location, OR to let us know about an event you would like us to share, check out the events page on our website: