|MISSION IMPACT at home and abroad
at home and abroad
At the October 6, 2015 Presbytery Council Meeting the Council approved eleven grant applications (former Ghana Mission monies) to share the grace and love of Jesus Christ around the globe. By Council action, each application received a tithe of $4087.75, (10% each). The remaining funds were sent to the General Assembly World Missions work.
- First Presbyterian, Spartanburg: The Music Committee has invited Santa Clara Choir from Cuba to the United States to perform. This was made possible through working with the Central Presbytery of Cuba.
- First Presbyterian, Greer: To support the work of Frontera de Cristo who partner with Café Justa and CRREDA in the building of Café Justo y Mas (Just Coffee and More) which will help support the work of these important ministries.
- Fort Hill: To support the El Faro Mission in Guatemala, the Fort Hill Christian Action Ministry is sending a mission team to Guatemala. The funds will go directly to support buying the supplies needed for mission projects.
- Fair Play: To continue to support their shared mission work with Barnabas X/Reach the Children Rwanda for the building of a kitchen/dining facility to go with the RCRI School in the village of Nyabihu.
- Central: To continue their partnership with the Dr. Gordon Presbyterian Hospital in Rio Verde, Brazil.
- Fountain Inn: To partner with Medical Missions, Inc. to complete construction of the Iglesias Macedonia Presbytery Church in the Payan Village of Chiapas, Mexico.
- Grace Covenant/Westminster Church, Greenville: To supplement the education, construction and medical resources in collaboration with the missions at Barahona, Dominican Republic.
- Salem: To support participation of their youth with Welfare Baptist Church in ongoing rebuilding efforts in Haiti.
- Piedmont/ First Church, Anderson: To support the nutrition work in Bohoc, Haiti.
- John Knox: To support the work of the Community Cloud Forest Conservation efforts in the cloud forests of Guatemala.
- Fourth: To support the mission trips to Guatemala to continue their work with CEDEPCA.
13 congregations engaged in mission around the world.
|November Nights - Westminster, Greenville
"Why Seminaries Continue to Matter to
WPC and the Church."
Join us for November Nights on Nov. 8
with guest Lee Hinson-Hasty, DMin,
Senior Director, Theological Education Funds Development, who
will moderate a panel discussion on "Why Seminaries Continue to Matter to WPC and the Church."
We will have three students from Columbia Seminary (Brandon J. Perkins, Lisa Schrott, & Sarah Paulsen), one from Union (Andrew Whitehead, WPC member) and a recent graduate from Union (Terri Price) who was ordained as a Teaching Elder in September at St. Giles to serve Providence Church in Greenville.
Classes for youth and adults begin at 6:30 p.m.
We are all finished by 7:30 p.m.
A nursery is available for those who are not yet in K2.
Bring Bibles collected for Thornwell to the November 10 Presbytery Meeting and David Howell will transport them to the children.
If you are still collecting after the meeting, you can drop them by the presbytery office or take them to Thornwell. Thank you so much!!
|Clerk's Annual Questionnaire
The Clerk's Annual Questionnaire 2015-CAQ
The CAQ 2015 is now available and was emailed out to all clerks this week! Here is the address for this web based survey:
Please use the live link above to read through the instructions carefully before you begin your survey. If you have any questions about the survey, please click here to email Research Services
or call them at
1-800-728-7228 ext. 2040
. The questionnaire is submitted electronically using the link to the form above. It is not necessary to mail a paper copy.
PIN and Passwords are the same as they have been in the past but feel free to reply to this newsletter or call the Presbytery office (864-288-5774) if you need yours. Thank you!
Please remember the DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION IS NOVEMBER 16, 2015
|Call for Compassion 2015
Mental Health America
Annual Call for Compassion
Men and the Stigma of Mental Illness: Developing Coping Skills for Every Day Life
When: Thursday, November 5, 9:00 - 2:00, Registration 8:30
Where: John Knox Presbyterian Church
Who: Pastors, Counselors, Stephen Ministers
Cost: $35, including lunch and general CEUs.
Please call Julie Schaaf at 850-2307 for more information and be on the lookout for registration forms.
Foothills Faith Builders
For those Equipping the Saints in the 60 Churches of Foothills Presbytery
Monday November 9
2242 Woodruff Road, Simpsonville 29681
Bring your lunch and spend time in fellowship.
This month's focus:
Fuel for the Journey
What are the Spiritual/Physical/Emotional practices
that keep you going in life and ministry?
Request for gathering is simple:
- Just list a couple of things in each of the three areas that you have found fruitful.
- It might include particular readings/books/blogs or pod casts.
- It might include a new exercise routine or yoga class.
It is my hope that we can learn new insights from each other and perhaps hear of something new we might want to experiment with in our own lives.
- For some of us it might be a self-awareness practice.
It is time to register for the
2016 APCE (Association of Presbyterian Church Educators) Annual Event!!
January 27-30, 2016 in Chicago
Click here for the Foothills APCE Scholarship. The Equipping the Saints Team strives to pay as much of the registration fee as possible. There are, however, a limited about of funds available and the amount awarded will also on the number of scholarship requests. The Deadline is Nov 16. This is firm.
|SOAP Regional Event 2015
SAVE THE DATE!
South Atlantic/Puerto Rico Region
Regional Event 2015
Thursday, November 5-7 at Epworth by the Sea, St. Simon's Island, GA
|PC - Youth Day!
|Youth Ministry Roundtable
Youth Ministry Leader's ROUNDTABLE
are invited to
Celebrate Advent & Christmas together
at Debbie's House!
Who should attend?:
Pastors, lay leaders, presbytery staff, and anyone who
is looking to learn more about stewardship in today's
Conference Fee and Location:
$250 on or before February 1, 2016
$275 after Feburary 1, 2016
Hilton San Antonio Airport
Conference Room rate of $109/night
Four plenary sessions
Four workshops (35+ to choose from)
Two worship services
Breakfast and lunch Tuesday & Wednesday
|Presbyterian Youth Triennium
Are You Interested in Your High School Youth Attending the 2016 Presbyterian Youth Triennium?
What's Triennium, you may ask? Triennium is a gathering of 6,000 Presbyterian Youth and their Adult Advisors from all around the world which takes place at Purdue University
on July 17-23, 2016.
Here is the link:
First Presbyterian Church, Laurens
The Music Director is responsible for directing the Chancel Choir and developing and maintaining the music program including directing or supervising the children's choirs.
This is a part-time position and salary is negotiable, depending on qualifications, experience and involvement in the children's choirs.
This position is under the direct supervision of the Minister and the Music and Worship Committee.
The Foothills Retirement Community
Staff Development Coordinator
Person will be responsible for
-Staff Development and Education
-Management of infection control
in accord with our Mission Statement:
"We are a compassionate Christian ministry
Dedicated to enriching the quality of life
for seniors of all faiths."
Must be RN licensed in SC. At least 2 years experience in geriatric nursing preferred.
Apply in person at 205 Bud Nalley Drive, Easley, SC, Monday-Friday 9AM-4:30PM or
|New in the Resource Center!
Please take a minute and visit the new items list on the Resource Center website
In her widely acclaimed new book, Diana Butler Bass argues that while many perceive religion to be in decline, it is actually undergoing a major transformation in how people understand and experience God. The concept of a distant God has given way to a more intimate sense of the sacred that is with us in the world. Grounded explores ways in which people experience a God who animates creation and community, and changes in ways they practice their faith.
Excerpts, reviews and interviews with the author abound for Bass's latest book. The Resource Center Catalog includes
to several of these online sources.
Bass will be speaking in Anderson, SC, on March 4-5, 2016, co-hosted by Foothills Presbytery and Anderson School of Theology for Laypersons.
Mark your Calendars
Dates to Remember
Committee on Ministry meeting
November 9 Foothills Faith Builders meeting
November 10 Presbytery meeting at Limestone!
November 14 Smaller Churches Workshop, McCarter
November 16 Mission Team meeting
November 17 Equipping the Saints meeting
November 19 Committee on Preparation meeting
FOOTHILLS PRESBYTERY STATED MEETING #97 will be Tuesday, November 10
at Limestone Church
, Gaffney - 9:45am