Funding the Next Generation is off to an exciting start. We have now connected with over 150 people with expertise and interest in exploring many ways to create a local public funding stream for children, youth and families. This includes folks in 35 counties and cities around the state - from Humboldt, to Stanislaus, to Santa Barbara to Solano.
REGISTER NOW: First-ever Conference on Dedicated Funding for Children in CA - Sept. 27
This is a unique opportunity to learn about dedicated funding streams - what is possible and what it takes to get them enacted.
Keynote by successful political consultant Larry Tramutola and opening panel presenting case examples of dedicated funding streams.
Workshops by California's leading experts include:
Go to http://tinyurl.com/mbrodkin for registration, and www.margaretbrodkin.com/projects for flier with additional information.
- Creating a children's budget - a first step in getting dedicated funds
- Legal issues related to potential revenue sources
- Strategies, tactics and messages for conservative communities
- Nuts and bolts of a local "soda" tax
- Polling - when, why and what you can learn
- Community organizing and building coalitions - the key to success
Becoming a budget champion for children
The journey toward creating a local dedicated funding stream begins with engagement in your local budget process. My new article "On Becoming a Budget Champion" (on our website) is full of tips gained from decades of experience. Learn how to analyze your community's budget, pick the first budget issues to work on, and what to include in your children's budget.
Lessons, from an advocate's perspective, in the article include:
- Budget advocacy is a year-round process - as soon as one budget is passed, the next one is being created. Get there early.
- Reports con't create change - political muscle does.
- Kids and parents are their own best budget advocates.
- Drama gets attention - sometimes that's what you need.
- Inside-the-system allies are important to find.
- Proposing the reallocation of funds can have a big payoff - but carry a high price.
- Legislation requiring your county or city to document expenditures for kids can save you the effort and provide valuable information.
- Legislators are often more accessible than chief executives.
- Numbers count - endorsers, letters, attendees at hearings, etc.
- Be "that group that will never go away."
Organize a Meeting in Your Community
Margaret is available to talk with groups by phone, and will travel throughout the state to meet with interested organizations or networks. Just ask.
People who are stepping up to convene meetings range from a health department director, to a community foundation, to a grassroots advocacy group, to a network of children, youth and family service providers.
WE VALUE YOUR FEEDBACK - If you have ideas about the conference, materials that are needed, or suggestions about the best strategies for getting the word out about dedicated funding streams, please call or e-mail.
New Resources Available
on Project Website
"Sandboxes to Ballot Boxes"
The story of San Francisco's landmark Children's Fund
Information on budget advocacy and California county and city finances
Examples of children's agendas and local budget resolutions
Material on dedicated funding
Tool to assess community readiness
A Practical Guide for Candidates, Causes and Communities
by Larry Tramutola, the state's leading political consultant in passing measures for public services for children - and an adviser to Funding the Next Generation.
Order on Amazon or directly from Tramutola Advisors
A local soda tax is considered a business tax, and can be levied only at the city level - or at the county-level only on unincorporated areas.
First 5 Association of CA
- California Child Care Resource and Referral Network
- Children Now
- Prevent Child Abuse California
- California Network of Family Strengthening Networks
- California Coverage and Health Initiatives
- The Children's Partnership
- Youth Leadership Institute
Pro-Bono Legal Team
Orrick Public Finance Group