Habitat Breaks Down The FAQ's Of Weatherization: What Is It? Who Qualifies? What's The Benefit?
What Is Weatherization?
Weatherization is the process of reducing energy costs to families by increasing the energy efficiency of the home while ensuring health and safety.
Why Should I Care About Weatherization? What Are The Benefits From This Service?
Weatherization services are cost-effective energy efficiency measures for existing residential homes. It improves performance and comfort.
Benefits of Weatherization include:
- Utility cost savings
- Better indoor air quality
- Increased property value
Families who have Weatherization services performed save money on utility bills year round. The home stays warmer in the winter, and cooler in the summer.
What Services Are Offered Through Weatherization?
Basic Services include:
- Caulking windows, doors, baseboards, ceiling trim
- Installing door sweeps
- Installing outlet insulators
- Insulating basement rim joists
- Taping ducts
- Insulating attic hatch
Advanced Services include:
- Repairing return
- Sealing penetrations and headboards in attic
- Blowing insulation in attic
- Rolled insulation in attic
- Raised storage in attic
- Drill and Fill wall insulation
Who Qualifies for Weatherization?
In order to qualify, your family's annual gross income (before taxes) must be between 30% and 50% of the Median Annual Income of Allegheny County. For example: A family of 4 people making less than $32,000 would meet the guidelines.
Residents must also fulfill the following requirements:
- Must own and occupy a home that needs and could benefit from short-term exterior or interior improvements.
- Must meet the income guidelines set by HFHGP
- Must be willing to partner with HFHGP
- Must occupy a home in the Greater Pittsburgh area in Allegheny County and posses homeowner's insurance.
- Must be willing to make a minimal monthly payment.
What Is Expected?
1. A pre-repair energy audit is conducted, which provides an assessment of the home's energy efficiency.
2. Volunteers make repairs to the home to improve the energy efficiency while ensuring the health and safety of the occupants.
3. A post-repair energy audit is conducted to ensure the work was done correctly and safely.
4. Educational material is provided for the partner family to help them understand the changes made to their home and maximize the financial benefits those changes will bring.
5. Partner families will make a minimal monthly payment for the materials.
How Do I Apply?
To get more information and to apply for Weatherization, contact
Daniel Webb at 412-351-0512 ext 10