Does My Adult Child Need A Guardian?

ElenaBy Attorney Elena A. Lidrbauch


Parents often ask about establishing guardianship for their child. Usually this occurs when a child has a disability and is about to turn 18. The parents may be aware, or have been told by someone that once a child reaches age 18, he or she has reached the age of majority and is presumed (unless proven otherwise) to be competent. Furthermore, the parent will no longer be the decision-maker when it comes to that child's education or healthcare.


For many parents, and especially for parents of children with disabilities, this is a scary proposition. Understandably they want to remain involved as an advocate for their child and be included in discussions and decisions regarding that child's education or healthcare. They are concerned that once their child turns 18 the parents will be denied information by the educators and other service providers who care for their child with special needs. So when some well-meaning person suggests guardianship as a solution, parents will often be ready to file the application and get appointed as their child's guardian. But is guardianship the answer for every situation?


Read More

 December 2012 Issue 



Attorney Janet Lowder has been selected for inclusion in 2013 Ohio Super Lawyers. Only 5% of lawyers in the state were selected and this is the tenth year in a row she has received this honor.



Happy Holidays!


Best wishes to you and your family during the holiday season.  We look forward to seeing you in 2013.


- Hickman & Lowder Attorneys & Staff


Turning Your Obstacles into Opportunities

1300 E. 9th Street, Suite 1020 . Cleveland, Ohio 44114
Phone: 216-861-0360 . Fax: 216-861-3113

5062 Waterford Drive . Sheffield Village, Ohio 44035
Phone: 440-323-1111 . Fax: 440-323-4284

Copyright � 2012 Hickman & Lowder Co., L.P.A. All Rights Reserved.

Find us on Facebook   Follow us on Twitter   View our profile on LinkedIn