Dental Education News: 
May 2018
NYU College of Dentistry Receives $2.2 Million to Study Periodontal Disease and Bone Loss in People with Diabetes

The National Institute of Dental & Craniofacial Research, part of the National Institutes of Health, has awarded a grant to researchers at New York University College of Dentistry (NYU Dentistry) to explore the biological mechanisms that contribute to poor oral health and related bone loss among people with diabetes. The grant, which began April 1, provides $2.2 million over five years.   Read more.

Columbia University College of Dental Medicine: A New Clinic, A New Experience

The College of Dental Medicine transforms care through its Center for Precision Dental Medicine.   Read more.

Education & Training
Stony Brook School of Dental Medicine: Digital Dentistry Group Receives Hands-on CAD/CAM Ceramic Restoration Training

In April, over 50 students, residents, faculty and staff attended a Club CAD session that provided hands-on training of staining of ceramic restorations. Club CAD, a working group that meets to review and learn the latest digital dentistry technologies and how they are used in specific patient cases, was established in reflection of Stony Brook School of Dental Medicine's (SDM) commitment to integrating digital dentistry education into its curriculum.   Read more.

Oral Health Care Access
University at Buffalo School of Dental Medicine Professor Expands Aid for Syrian Refugees

First, Othman Shibly led the creation of dental clinics to treat Syrian refugees. Then, he helped form schools. Soon, he will rebuild homes.
Each year, the UB dental professor expands Miles for Smiles, a bi-annual mission to the borders of his native Syria to deliver free oral health care and education to children who lack access to treatment due to the ongoing civil war.   Read more.

NYU College of Dentistry Study Identifies Effective School-Based Cavity Prevention Program

School-based prevention programs can substantially reduce children's cavities - but what type of treatment should be delivered in schools to best prevent tooth decay?  A new study by researchers at NYU College of Dentistry, published in the journal BMC Oral Health , suggests that cavity prevention programs with a combination of prevention strategies may be more effective than one alone for reducing tooth decay.  Read more.

Columbia University College of Dental Medicine: Angela Yoon Seeks Precision Care for Oral Cancer

Every year, 8,000 Americans die of oral cancer. When diagnosed early-at TNM Stage I or Stage II, the five-year survival rate is 60 percent. The other 40 percent, who have a much more aggressive form of the disease, have a poorer prognosis.  At present, doctors have no way of forecasting which category a patient falls into, let alone deciding upon a course of treatment based on such information. Read more.

University at Buffalo School of Dental Medicine: Drug-filled, 3-D Printed Dentures Could Fight Off Infections

Nearly two-thirds of the U.S. denture-wearing population suffer frequent fungal infections that cause inflammation, redness and swelling in the mouth.
To better treat these infections, called denture-related stomatitis, University at Buffalo researchers have turned to 3-D printers, using the machines to build dentures filled with microscopic capsules that periodically release Amphotericin B, an antifungal medication.   Read more.

Faculty News
Eastman Institute for Oral Health, University of Rochester: Dr. Kolokythas Selected for Prestigious Program 

Antonia Kolokythas, D.D.S., M.Sc., associate professor at Eastman Institute for Oral Health and chair of the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Department, has been accepted as a member of the 2018-2019 class of Fellows in the Hedwig van Ameringen Executive Leadership in Academic Medicine (ELAM) Program.   Read more.

Stony Brook University School of Dental Medicine: Dr. Man Wai Ng '89, Receives the 2018 Distinguished Alumni Award

Each year the School of Dental Medicine Alumni board receives nominations to recognize one of their outstanding alumni as the Distinguished Alumnus award (DAA) recipient.  This year, the board received a number of nominations, but unanimously selected Dr. Man Wai Ng '89.   Read more.

Other News
Eastman Institute for Oral Health, University of Rochester: Parents Grateful for Cleft Team, Donor Support

A letter from grateful parents of a patient:
As most parents do, we want the best for our child(ren). Upon finding out that our son would be born with rare skin condition that includes a cleft palate and cleft lip, we met with the Craniofacial and Cleft Team at U of R, and felt immediately that this was the right group of people for our family because of the level of sincerity, knowledge, and experience the group comprised .   Read more.

Read more from the dental schools!