Superintendent of Schools Dr. Laura Feijóo marked her first 100 days at the helm of the City School District of New Rochelle last Saturday, concluding an initial period in which she has set the groundwork to move the District forward in almost every area.
In a little more than three months, she has begun a transformation of the District that will be based on solid research, vast experience and a superb staff of educators. She has:
- Implemented a two-phase Entry Plan that uses solid data to assess the state of the schools and aims for success with SMART – strategic, measurable, achievable, relevant and time-bound – goals.
- Hired Assistant Superintendent for Curriculum and Instruction Dr. Alex Marrero.
- Begun a search for an administrator to fill the newly created position of Director of Diversity, Inclusivity and Innovation, who will help build and maintain a diverse staff while ensuring that what is taught in the schools is relevant to all in a widely diverse district.
- Proposed a preliminary 2020-21 budget with a $2 million equity fund that apportions money to schools in a manner that supports District priorities.
- Implemented safety and security recommendations from Altaris Consulting Group.
“New Rochelle is a wonderful community with many strengths to draw on,” Dr. Feijóo said. “I have found incredibly innovative teachers who work really hard on improving curriculum and students who are truly excited to be in school and to be with their teachers. In class after class, in every school, you see the excitement. These are all vital aspects of a District that shows amazing achievements, and that is capable of even more.”
Dr. Feijóo’s approach centers on setting the goals after assessing the data in Phase I of the entry plan, in which each school presented a report on demographics and student performance. Those reports helped the District set priorities that will determine how the equity fund in the 2020-21 budget will be distributed: reducing the success gaps and supporting English language learners, special education students and those who are economically disadvantaged.
“We are thrilled with the progress Dr. Feijóo is making in moving the District forward,” said Board of Education President Amy Moselhi. “The school-to-home partnership is key to any district’s success. An example of community engagement is Dr. Fiejóo’s initiative to engage the community around the priorities expressed in the Phase I data. This is important to celebrate.”
The New Rochelle PTA Council joined in congratulating Dr. Feijóo on the milestone.
“The PTA Council of New Rochelle is delighted to wish Dr. Feijóo, our Superintendent of Schools, Congratulations on her one hundredth day in the New Rochelle School District!” the PTA Council announced in a message to Dr. Feijóo. “We wish you continued success and we look forward to our continued PTA Council partnership as you continue to improve, promote and implement programs that will provide our children with an invaluable educational experience.”
The PTA is just one of the many organizations Dr. Feijóo has built relationships with.
“I want to thank the staff members, parents, students and community leaders who have welcomed me to New Rochelle,” Dr. Feijóo
“I’m eager to continue meeting with those willing to work with the District to provide the world-class educational experience our students deserve.”