Many changes have come about since COVID-19 entered our country. Two of these changes are the shift of patients wanting virtual appointments, and the number of physicians and staff members who are temporarily or permanently working from home. If you are going to make that transition, here are four tips to consider when creating a home office.
Determine your Space.
● Your home work-space should be as separate as possible from your home life-space. Preferably, it should have a door you can close and/or the ability to avoid noise and distraction. Not an option? Use a folding screen or curtain to set apart your working area within a functioning room.
Discover your needs and make a checklist.
● What do you have versus what do you need: Physicians and employees across the
country will be working from home longer than expected. Consider the items most
needed to be successful.
● Checklist: desk, chair, computer, keyboard, filing cabinet, printer/scanner, etc.
● Set up a structure for your home office. Where will you keep daily to-do lists vs monthly
tasks? Do you need a white board to organize your lists or would a wall calendar be
more efficient? Would labeled hanging file folders help keep priorities vs weekly tasks
Set family ground rules during work hours.
● If you have children, keep a noticeable item wrapped around the doorknob of your
office so they know you cannot be interrupted. If there is no door, have them help you
make a Do Not Disturb sign to hang. This can be essential for work calls and meetings
when you cannot have interruptions.
● Set aside time for lunch to spend with your family so they understand and appreciate
the difference between work time and time with you.
Source: Office Depot, one of TPA's Affiliate Partners, offers a business savings program to TPA members. With multiple ways to save, TPA members receive special discounts on almost every item, access to Office Depot’s technology services and local business pros, and more. You can also save on Back to School supplies, whether learning in person or online.