Deadline for Proposals: June 12, 2018
On April 24, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) announced the availability of approximately $40 million in grant funding for the implementation of projects aimed at reducing emissions from the nation's existing fleet of older diesel engines. Under this competition, between 20 and 80 grants are anticipated to be awarded to eligible applicants.
Eligible Applicants, Fleets and Technologies
Eligible applicants include regional, state, local or tribal agencies, or port authorities with jurisdiction over transportation or air quality. Nonprofit organizations may apply if they meet certain criteria.
The following types of fleets may qualify for funding: b
edium or heavy duty trucks; m
arine engines; l
ocomotives; energy production; and n
on-road engines or vehicles used in c
andling of cargo (including at a port or airport), a
griculture, and mining.
- Retrofit technologies that are verified or certified by either EPA or CARB
- Idle-reduction technologies that are EPA verified
- Aerodynamic technologies and low rolling resistance tires that are EPA verified
- Early replacement and repower with certified engine configurations
Application Evaluation Criteria Changes
Project Sustainability Criteria
Revised criteria includes additional points to applicants and project partners that have developed in the past five years, or plan to develop by the end of the project period:
- Up to 10 points for 1) a publicly available baseline mobile source emission inventory or refinement of an inventory completed before 2013; or 2) publicly available long term air quality plan or refinement of a plan completed before 2013
- Up to 5 additional points to applicants and project partners that have a commitment to developing a publicly available Community Engagement Plan for meaningful engagement of the affected communities.
Environmental Results Criteria
Increased the total number of points for this criteria from 20 to 30.
Notes: The additional points are available to applicants from any sector. See Request for Proposals for full details on project eligibility and application process.
Goods Movement Specific Criteria