No New Taxes for UMT in 2020
The Township Board of Supervisors adopted the 2020 Budget on Nov. 6, 2019. The new budget year begins January 1.
The budget estimates $14.6 million in revenues and $10.9 million in proposed expenditures, leaving a fund balance of $3.7 million. Township officials estimate 2019 General Fund expenditures to come in $304,000 less than projected.
Average Real Estate Tax Payment of $500
The average residential property assessment in Upper Makefield Township is $65,748, which equates to an average Township Real Estate Tax bill of $500. Since 2011, Upper Makefield Township's Real Estate Tax has been steadily reduced from a high of 13.3525 mils to the current level of 7.6025 mils. (A mil is $1 per $1,000 in property assessment.) Please note in the graphic above that the Upper Makefield Township portion of a resident's Real Estate Tax bill is only 4.80 percent of the total bill.
Earned Income Tax Revenues Average $796 per Household
Additional revenues come from the
ownship's 1/2 of a 1 percent Earned Income Tax, which is shared with the Council Rock School District. This year, Upper Makefield's share is set to rise $100,000 to $4.2 million in 2020. This translates into an Earned Income Tax payment per household of about $796.
The budget is developed by Township staff and was reviewed during publicly advertised October 1 and October 7 Board of Supervisor Workshop meetings. Next, the Board of Supervisors reviewed a Preliminary Budget Presentation by the Township Manager before voting on October 15 to seek public comment. These meetings included line-item scrutiny, discussion of capital improvement planning, the Township debt repayment schedule and Sewer and Water Reserve funds. Between this year's October 15 public presentation and adoption of the 2020 budget on November 6, no public comments were received.
The Township Budget for 2020 includes plans to:
- Improve Mt. Eyre Road, Valley View Drive, and Old Barn Court roadways
- Purchase playground equipment for Brownsburg Park
- Add cantilever shades to the Lookout Park picnic area
- Contribute $156,000 to the Upper Makefield Fire Company
- Contribute $19,000 to the Lingohocken Fire Company
- Hire one additional police officer
- Hire an additional public works employee
- Maintain 24-hour emergency ambulance service
- Continue the volunteer firefighter incentive program
- Fully fund the Township pension plans
- Fully fund the 5- year Capital Improvement Plan
- Day-to-Day operations in all Township departments