Complete information on all services, facilities and programs.
Check out our Facebook page for the most up-to-date MRD info.
The Winter 2016-2017 Activity Guide is Available Online Now by
! This will be mailed by today, December 5th, with registration starting today. The Winter Guide has complete Community Rec. Center Info. including the CRC Grand Opening Weekend 1/27/17 to 1/29/17. See the full article below. The current guide is also always available at
Fitness and Weight Equipment for the New MCRC Has Been Selected!
to see the layout of the the CRC's full service fitness and weight center. It will be delivered and installed next week!
Complete Community Rec. Center (CRC) Pass Information is Now Available.
See the Winter Activity guide. Choose from a diversity of pass options to use this amazing new facility including a
Corporate Membership Program
, which provides the best deal on the CRC!
for more information.
Construction of the Community Recreation Center is Almost Done!
to see the construction camera. Virtual 3D renderings of the Community Recreation Center are also available. Click here to experience what it'll look like to be in your CRC! Join us January 9th to January 26th for a real life tour of your CRC (M-F 8am to 7pm, Sat/Sun 1pm to 4pm)! The facility will not be ready for use but we'll be completing program and pass registrations in addition to giving tours. The CRC is located at 16350 Woodgate Road, behind Wal-Mart.
- Program Highlights for more info., see corresponding program section below or the Winter Guide):
Classes for every level from Twinges in the Hinges (Tues/Thur at 9am), to Aqua Aerobics (MWF at 8am), the Aerobic Zone (Tues/Thur at 8am), the Splash Aerobics (MWF at 11am) and the Deep (Tues/Thur at 11am). Classes are included with admission. Classes will run until Jan. 8th, when the pool closes down except Fitzone. Classes will resume January 30th at the CRC!
32 classes per week included with admission! Fitzone will continue at the Aquatic Center through Jan. 26th, at which time all classes will move to the CRC.
Afternoon Dancing for Winter: Registration Deadline Dec. 14.
Youth Basketball, 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th Grade boys and girls: Registration Deadline Dec. 22. Many games will be played at the CRC!
- Adult Indoor Soccer: Registration Deadline of Dec. 27
- Adult Basketball League: Registration Deadline of Dec. 27
Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas, and thanks for being a patron and/or supporter!
The CRC Set to Open for
Grand Opening Weekend January 27-29!
CRC Construction Updates
images below are from recent CRC site tours.
Click Here to view the onsite construction cam for the latest on the construction project.
You can also view a time-lapse video of the construction progress.
Gym and Mezzanine
Child Watch and Racquetball Courts
Lap Pool with Diving Boards and Drop Slide
Note: all Fit Zone classes will occur at the Aquatic Center until Jan. 26th (even though the pool will close on Jan. 9th). Starting Jan. 27th, all Fit Zone classes will begin happening at the CRC!
Barre classes are the hottest fitness trend with new studios popping up all around the country. With the use of motivating music this high energy 60 minute class is a fusion of multiple disciplines including pilates, strength training and yoga. We use props such as the barre, light hand held weights and a small exercise ball. With regular attendance you will develop lean muscle mass while improving balance, flexibility and range of motion. With lots of modifications shown this class is geared for people of all ages and fitness levels. Come join Barre class with instructor, Rebecca Reichard, every Tuesday and Thursday at 10:30!
View the FitZone Calendar
to view daily fitness class schedule.
5th & 6th AND 7th & 8th GRADE BASKETBALL -
Our youth basketball program is great for both first timers and kids who have played before. Our league focuses on fundamental development, sportsmanship and fun! All players get to play an equal amount of time each game regardless of skill level. Boys and girls will compete separately.
- Fee: $38
- Practices: Monday & Wednesday or Tuesday & Thursday
- Registration Deadline: Thursday, Dec. 22nd
- Games: Friday evenings and Saturday Mornings
HIGH SCHOOL BASKETBALL - 1
This is a great opportunity for all 9th - 12th graders who are not enrolled in a basketball program to participate in an organized league! Teams will practice twice a week and play 6 games throughout the season all at the CRC. Boys and girls compete together. Form your own team or sign up individually.
- Player Fee: $38
- Registration Deadline: Wednesday, Jan. 4th
- Games: Friday evenings and Saturday mornings at the CRC
- Practices: Tuesday & Thursdays 4:00 - 5:30, Wednesdays 3:00 - 4:15 at the CRC
POWDERHORN SKI & SNOWBOARD DAYS
Let MRD do the driving and get a great rate on ski lessons at the same time!
Never skied or boarded before? No problem. Full day lessons and equipment
rental are available for one low cost. Just bring your lunch, we will take care
of the rest. There is no MCSD school on the dates below. You must register in
person at the Aquatic Center. Space is limited so sign up ASAP! Register at the
Aquatic Center for the December trip at the CRC for the February Trip.
- Dates: Monday, December 19th or Tuesday February 21st
- Time: 7:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- Ages: 8+
- $60 for full day lessons, lift ticket, and rentals
- $55 for full day lift ticket and rentals
- $36 for parent ticket (must provide own transportation)
UPCOMING YOUTH SPORTS CHECK BACK FOR MORE DETAILS
Denver Nuggets Skills Challenge-
Biddee Basketball- February
1st & 2nd Grade Basketball- February
Speed & Agility Class- February
Spring Soccer - March
5th & 6th and 7th & 8th Grade Volleyball - March
Spring Lacrosse - March
(click activity number listed next to program to register online)
5 on 5 indoor soccer will be played at Columbine Middle School, Monday's Through Thursday's beginning January 11th. Participants must be 15 years old or older. Men's and Coed leagues will be offered.
- Registration Deadline: Tuesday, Dec. 27
- Team Fee: $300
- League Games: January 3rd - February 23
- Time: 7:00 - 9:30
- Location: Columbine Middle School
Full Court 5 on 5 basketball will be offered for adults beginning in January. Teams will have a minimum of 8 games, usually scheduled two nights per week plus a post season tournament.
- Team fee: $500
- Registration Deadline: December, 27th
- Dates: Games begin January, 3rd
- Managers Meeting: December, 29th 6:30 p.m. at the McNeil office.
BASKETBALL OFFICIALS TRAINING
We are looking for new officials that are motivated and willing to learn. Give back to the sport that taught you so much. No previous experience in officiating required. Training will be provided by certified RMAC official.
- Date: Monday, January 2nd
- Time: 7:00 - 8:30
- Fee: FREE
- Location: Community Recreation Center
Upcoming Adult Sports
35 + Basketball - February
Drop-In Volleyball- February
Noon Pick-Up Basketball - February
4 v 4 Volleyball - March
SILVER SNEAKERS CLASSES - NEW
Beginning December 6, we will offer Silver Sneakers classes including:
Cardio Fit and Classic.
Click Here for class descriptions on Pg. 14. These classes
will be held at the MRD Aquatic Center Apex and Omni rooms.
Talk to a customer service representative
for information on how to sign up for Silver Sneakers and get
a free annual pass to use at the recreation center call (970) 249-7705!
- Silver Sneaker Classic:
- Dates: Tuesdays December 6 - 27; January 3 - 24
- Time: 12:00 p.m.
- Instructor: Kira Hussong
- Silver Sneaker Cardio Fit:
- Dates: Thursdays December 8 - 29; January 5 - 26
- Instructor: Tara Wilson
Enjoy Colorado year round by hiking. Wear good hiking shoes or boots, wear sunscreen and bring ample water. Dress in layers and bring a sack lunch for all trips. Hikes will be rescheduled if there is adverse weather. Locations are subject to change based on weather conditions.
- Fee: $18 (Bring sack lunch)
- Location: All hikes leave from the Montrose Senior Center
- December Hike - Tuesday Dec. 6 Colorado National Monument Sampler
- January Hike - Tuesday January 10th Serpents Trail
- February Hike - Tuesday, February 14th Redlands Mesa
DOWNTOWN GRAND JUNCTION SLEIGH RIDE -
Get into the holiday spirit while shopping in downtown Grand Junction. Santa will be there and you can enjoy a sleigh ride in between checking out the stores.
- Date: Saturday, December 3rd
- Time: 8:30 a.m. - Approx. 3:00 p.m.
- Fee: $20 (bring money for lunch)
- Location: Meet at the Aquatic Center at 8:15 a.m.
We will snowshoe on the following dates, weather permitting, and will
reschedule if necessary. Dress in layers, wear sunscreen and bring a sack
lunch. Must provide your own snowshoes. You can rent them through
Cascade Bicycles. Contact Cindy at 252-4884 with questions. Locations
are subject to change based on weather/snow conditions.
- February: Tuesday the 21st at Arrowhead (Near Cimarron)
- January: Tuesday the 17th at Cerro Summit
- March: Tuesday the 7th at County Rd. 5
- Fee: $18
- Time: 9:30 a.m. - Approx 2:00 p.m.
- Location: Meet at the Senior Center at 9:15 a.m.
(click activity number listed next to program to register online)
LIFEGUARD CLASS!! SIGN UP TODAY!
Learn All The Skills Necessary To Become A Professional Lifeguard T
his course teaches CPR, First Aid and all the rescue techniques.
This class is offered to individuals 15 years and older. This will be a
blended learning course with instruction both online, and in the pool. Students will be charged an additional $35 by the American Red Cross when enrolling for the online portion. Participant must be available to attend all in-person training sessions. Required pre-test is a 300 meter swim (12 lengths), two minute water tread without hands and retrieving a ten pound brick from
the bottom of the pool 9 feet or deeper. If you are interested please contact Liz at 249-7705.
- Fee: $100
- Date: December 12th - 17th
- Swim Test and Pre-Interviews on December 6th so please register ASAP if interested.
COMMUNITY RECREATION CENTER POOL INFORMATION!
The 2016/2017 Winter Activity Guide is out and has all the information you need about the grand opening of the new Community Recreation Center! For more information about the Community Recreation Center
TRANSITION TO NEW COMMUNITY RECREATION CENTER
- Saturday January 8th is the last day of operation of the pool at the Aquatic Center
- January 9th - 27th the new CRC front desk will be open and tours of the building will be offered
- Wednesday January 18th and Tuesday January 24th will be a soft openings of the CRC for annual pass holders from 8 - 11 am and 4 - 7 p.m. This will be a time to come use the facility before the grand opening.
- Friday January 27th through January 29th is the grand opening weekend and is free to the public
- Monday January 30th the CRC will be open for normal business hours.
The next round of Swim Lessons will be offered in the new Community Recreation Center starting in February. Dates and and class information are available
WINTER AFTER SCHOOL SWIM
MRD and First Student have teamed up to provide an after school swim time. First Student buses will transport children from Oak Grove, Cottonwood, Johnson, and Northside. Students from other area schools may also take advantage of our special rate. A permission slip is required, and children under the age of seven must pass a swim test.
Dates: Aug. 16 - May 24
Fee: $3 daily or $57 for a 20 punch pass
Day: Monday - Thursday
Time: 2:30 - 5:15 p.m.
Make a splash with water exercise! This is the perfect exercise for people just starting a routine, or those that want to diversify their workouts! Water aerobics offers a great cardiovascular workout that will tone the entire body. The buoyancy of the water also helps protect the joints and is perfect for participants at all levels. Please
to see specifics on classes offered and times classes meet.
- 20-Use Punch Card (for use in any class)
- Drop-In Fee: $4.25
- Classes offered:
- Aqua Aerobics
- Splash Aerobics
- Express Aerobics
- The Aerobic Zone
- Twinges in the Hinges
- The Deep
- NEW AQUA SALSA!
PRIVATE SWIM LESSONS
Private lessons offer a one to one instructor/student ratio. Private lessons are offered during public swim hours and must be arranged through the Aquatic Coordinator. For more information call the MRD Aquatic Center at 249-7705
- Fee: $60 - 3 lesson minimum
- $20 per 1/2 hour lessons
FRIDAY FAMILY FUN NIGHT
The Montrose Recreation District encourages families to recreate together. We continue to offer our Family Fun Night so come together and join in the fun. We have discounted our general admission to $3 per family member.
- Ages: All
- Day: Every Friday Evening
- Fee: $3 per person
- Time: 6:00 p.m.- 8:00 p.m.
PRIVATE POOL RENTALS
Private reserved use of the Aquatic Center is a great way to make your party or special event a hit! All private pool parties require a two-hour minimum rental. Groups must be 10 or more people. Please call Liz Gracesun, Aquatic Coordinator, at 970-249-7705 ext. 575 in advance to reserve your date and let us know the time and number of expected guests.
Parties are available on Saturdays & Sundays from 6:30 p.m.- 9:30 p.m.
- 2 Hours: 1-50 in party- $150; 51-100 in party- $220
- 3 Hours:1-50 in party- $200; 51-100 in party- $300
Tae Kwon Do is a Korean martial art that can be taught as an Olympic Sport,
for self-defense or for health and fitness. It helps develop self-confidence,
balance, self-control and leadership. Hapkido is Korean martial art used for
conditioning and self-defense. Students ages 7 to adult. Veterans may take
the class for free. Instructor Ed Ulibari is a Master instructor with 30+ years
of teaching experience. You may try one class for free to decide if it's right
for you prior to registering.
- Session 1: December 1 -22
- Session 2: January 3 - 26
- Session 3: February 2 - 28
- Session 4: March 2 - 30
- Time: Tuesdays & Thursdays 4:45 - 6:00 p.m.
- Fee: $30/ session
- Location: Warrior Resource Center 11 S. Park Ave.
- Instructor: Master Ed Ulibarri
T'ai Chi Chih® is a set of movements focused on the development
of intrinsic energy called Chi. T'ai Chi Chih® is not a martial art and is
completely non-violent. It does not require a particular level of physical
fitness or coordination. For those with physical limitations, movements
may be done seated with some modification. No special clothing or
equipment is required.
- Fee: $50/ session for 50 and older $60/session for over 50.
- Date: Mondays January 9th - February 27th (no class on Feb. 20th)
- Time: 10:00 - 11:00 a.m.
- Location: Montrose Senior Center
- Instructor: Dan Mohr
PICKLEBALL DROP-IN PLAY
Pickleball is a racquet sport which combines the elements of badminton, tennis, and table tennis. It is played on 20'x44' court. This game is easy form beginners to learn, but can develop into a quick, fast-paced, competitive game for players. Your first intro class is free! Join anytime. New players receive written information with the rules of play. Come play on the courts with newly painted pickleball lines. Call Cindy at 252-4884 for more information.
- Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays & Saturdays 1:30 - 3:30 p.m.
- December & January Time 1:30 - 3:00 p.m.
- Fee: $3 Drop-in fee ($25 for 10 punch card) or $15/month unlimited play
- Location: Aquatic Center Tennis/Pickleball Courts
The Montrose Recreation District (MRD) is accepting applications for the Head Lifeguard position to lead and train the growing aquatics staff members at our new
Community Recreation Center (CRC), coming in January 2017. This recruitment is happening at a very exciting time, as MRD plans to open the Community Recreation Center to better serve
Montrose! The selected candidate will be centrally involved in maximizing the quality
and quantity of service for Montrose, to build community and better the quality of life.
The work schedule will include evenings and weekends depending on programming needs.
This position will supervise several part time employees including Lifeguards, Water Safety Instructors and Swim lesson assistants. This is year round part-time position working 30+ hours each week which includes a starting hourly rate of $11.15/hour, facility accesss privileges, and an excellent health insurance plan. EOE.
include: A minimum of 4 years of Aquatics experience, including one year of administrative and/or Lead supervisory experience. Prefer someone who is in possession of valid Red Cross certifications including; Lifeguard Instructor, Lifeguard Instructor Trainer, Water Safety Instructor, Water Safety Instructor Trainer, Babysitter trainer. The ability to obtain certifications will be considered. AFO or CPO preferred.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: December 12th at 5:00 p.m.
The recruitment timeline is as follows:
Post Job Listing: Nov.14. Deadline: Monday December 12th at 5pm
Application Review: Dec. 12-16
Interview Day: We
ll notify candidates selected for an interview about 1 week ahead of time.
Projected Start Date: February 1
More information, including the required application, is available on the MRD website at
. Please submit completed application,
resume and cover letter to MRD, Re: Head Lifeguard, 25 Colorado Ave, Montrose CO,
81401 or mail to PO Box 63, Montrose, CO 81402.
CRC Facility Supervisor (Deadline is Thursday Dec. 8th!)
- This year round position (30-39 hours/week) is central in facility operations of the new CRC. It will serve as Manager on Duty, primarily during the evening hours. This position will address patron issues, oversee and work at the Customer Service Representative desk, and overall ensure a smooth operation during the busy evening hours. Bilingual ability is a plus. This position will be 30+ hours throughout the year and it includes health benefits. Please submit full application packet to email@example.com. Please email Coz a letter of interest, resume and completed application. Applications may also be turned in at the MRD Aquatic Center, 25 Colorado Ave. The application is found by going to http://www.montroserec.com/
Climber Wall Monitor (Deadline is Monday Dec. 12th!)
- This part-time position will help operate the CRC climbing wall. Instruction, belaying and ensuring a safe wall operation are all responsibilities covered by the Climbing Wall Monitor. Please submit full application packet to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please email Ken a letter of interest, resume and completed application to the individual listed for more information. Applications may also be turned in at the MRD Aquatic Center, 25 Colorado Ave. The application is found by going to http://www.montroserec.com/
- Responsibilities include the safe supervision of all pool and deck area, as well as basic pool maintenance. Consistent rule enforcement along with excellent customer service skills required. Candidates must have current American Red Cross Lifeguarding, CPR and First Aid Certifications. Please submit full application packet to email@example.com. Please email Liz a letter of interest, resume and completed application to the individual listed for more information. Applications may also be turned in at the MRD Aquatic Center, 25 Colorado Ave. The application is found by going to http://www.montroserec.com/
Water Safety Instructors
- This position is responsible for planning and implementing swim lessons according the American Red Cross standards. Instructors will be asked to provide both public and private swim lesson classes. Bilingual ability is strongly desired. Candidates must have a current American Red Cross Water Safety Instructors certification. Classes for this certification are held on an ongoing basis. Please submit full application packet to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please email Melissa a letter of interest, resume and completed application to the individual listed for more information. Applications may also be turned in at the MRD Aquatic Center, 25 Colorado Ave. The application is found by going to http://www.montroserec.com/