Dear parents and guardians,
Our Distance Learning Plan sunsets today, and as you are aware, our school closures have been extended until Tuesday, March 31, 2020, by the Governor. As such, we have communicated with building principals and teachers to ensure that there are clear expectations around teaching and learning. We have asked that for the next four school
days, teachers continue with their Distance Learning Plans, extending both the core and supplemental work.
Although we have not received notice of school closures beyond March 31, the central administration team has communicated the importance of a contingency plan for our learning community. All teaching staff will virtually engage with their school building leaders to ensure continued continuity of instruction and services across grade levels and subject areas to monitor that all NYS Standards are being met. I am leaving the management of this task to individual building principals.
During the week of Spring Break, April 6 through 10, students will be on recess and there is no expectation for instruction during this period. The central administration team understands the value of this time to serve as a period to rejuvenate, re-energize and take care of ourselves and our loved ones.
Parent and guardians on instructional days should expect:
- Timely feedback, which is essential to student learning.
- Supports when students need additional services.
- Clear communication regarding where and how they should ask questions and seek clarification specific to learning targets, tasks, requirements, and/or deadlines.
- Timely responses to emails, questions and communications from students and families.
- Introduction of Zoom and other platforms into the learning experience. Teachers have been asked to integrate these technologies when they materially improve access or ease of understanding to the curriculum being taught, especially in the middle and high school environment.
- Sport coaches and physical education teachers to provide instructional videos to students via Google Classroom.
The City School District of New Rochelle appreciates your continued support. If your child is experiencing difficultly accessing curriculum, please communicate with your teachers and building principals so we may provide additional supports. We will continue to provide you with timely and meaningful updates in the days to come.
Please stay healthy. We look forward to seeing you back in