The Children’s Safety Network is committed to working to keep infants, children, and adolescents safe and healthy, especially during this challenging time in which the world joins together to prevent the spread of novel coronavirus COVID-19. We know that many of you are turning your attention to addressing this growing concern. We will continue our work at CSN and encourage you to protect children in your communities by spreading these prevention recommendations to your partners and communities.
As there have been likely increases in drugs and chemicals (e.g., medications, disinfectant products) being brought into the homes and rise in the purchase of gun sales, we ask you to consider promoting the following prevention recommendations:
Drug and chemical safety recommendations:
- Read all warning labels and follow directions on the label before using medications or products that may be poisonous
- Educate children about drug and chemical safety
- Store drugs and chemicals safely, up and away and out of children’s reach
- Call poison control center at 800-222-1222 right away for any kind of poisoning
Firearm safety recommendations:
- Store firearms unloaded in a locked container
- Store firearms separate from ammunition
- Educate children about firearm safety
Additional information on these topics can be accessed on the following websites:
Please know we will work with you to continue prevention efforts to keep our children safe and to provide you with the resources and tools you need. We also encourage you to visit the
Education Development Center COVID-19 Resource Page
during this time for additional ideas and practices to share with your communities, partners or even use at home. EDC will continue to develop this resource page as the situation evolves.
Children’s Safety Network Director